Sponsored by:

new rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rear bumper

Had a little mishap in my friends '01 S. Does anyone know what's the going rate on a new rear bumper?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Had to have my 02's rear bumper replaced last Feb. due to accident...

Originally Posted by Giacomo
Had a little mishap in my friends '01 S. Does anyone know what's the going rate on a new rear bumper?
Accident not my fault!

Uh, make that rear bumper cover. Actual bumper metal (alum) beam that spans distance across rear of car under bumper cover.

Here's cost: $730.19. Labor to install: 0.9 hours. Paint labor: 3.9 hours (includes clear coat).

Mech. labor at body shop $85/hour. Paint labor $45/hour. Note if car under warranty PCNA requires parts be purchased from PCNA and through dealer and installed by dealer technician. My dealer charges $150/hour.

Call dealer parts counter in your area and get quote on bumper cover. Ask which body it uses and call body shop to get quote to paint/install bumper cover.

Be sure body shop uses right paint. There are 3 paint systems now approved by Porsche for shops that hope to qualify for Porsche Approved Collision Center status: Standox, Glasurit, and Spies Hecker.

Also verify shop has Celette Bench with dedicated fixtures or Car Bench with Fixtures or Mini-fixtures. These are used to ensure chassis/tub of damaged Porsches to spec. Celette Bench expensive but bench used by factory to build/assemble new cars. Dedicated fixtures/jigs can be rented from Celette. The Boxster with the damaged bumper cover won't need this treatment but the presence of the equipment tells you shop has the right stuff...

You might get by with used cover. Check with Parts Heaven in Hayward CA or Oklahoma Foreign in Oklahoma City OK or there's a place in Miami FL but name escapes me. (Other places too but those I'm familiar with.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very thorough response. Thanks. You are correct, it is the bumper cover I need

Quick Reply: new rear bumper