Check Engine Light & Faulty Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:34 PM
KMN
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light & Faulty Light Switch

Folks,

I just received via the on-board computer "Check Engine Drive to Workshop" message and now the Check Engine light stays on.

Is there any way to check the error codes without a scanner/computer?

Even without the tool, I have problem with the headlight switch the reared its ugly head just yesterday that may provide a clue....

In short, fog lights don't come on nor the high beams. In fact, when the switch is in the Parking Light position, my headlights come! Pull out the switch for the fog lights -- nothing. Place the switch to Low Beam/High Beam position and turn on high beams -- nothing.

Any ideas?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need a scan tool.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 PM
KMN
AutoX

For those who who are interested...

I ordered a new light switch and in preparation for its arrival on Thursday, 7/16, I decided to pull the old headlight switch out...but before I did that, I turned the key and tested the switch...and....it was working fine! Fog lights came on, high beams came on, parking light came on...!!!

Okay, so then I turned on the car and as soon as the "Check Engine, Drive Car to Workshop" message reared its ugly head, the switch stopped working -- that is, the fog lights wouldn't come on and the high beams wouldn't come on and parking light setting turned on the headlights -- the original problem.

I turned the car off, turned the key just before ignition...and....the light switch worked...go figure!!!

So, I'm not sure if there is anything to it...but it appears that my light switch problem is related to the Check Engine somehow...can anyone explain this or is it just coincidence???!!!

Anyway, I'm taking the car to my PM on Friday and I'll let the forum know what we find out...

KMN
'03 Boxter
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 PM
KMN
AutoX

Lightbulb

Okay Folks, the car is fixed...

The problem with the Check Engine Light and faulty light switch (which ended up being no climate control or windshield wipers either) was traced to a faulty ignition switch!! In other words, all those things that receive power via the ignition key (e.g., the majority of the accessories such as climate control, lights, wipers, etc) didn't work because of the faulty ignition switch...which also set the stage for error signals to the OBC, thus the Check Engine message....which by the way indicated that I had a whole lot of other things wrong with the car. However, my PM went with his hunch being the ignition switch, reset the OBC and....

....life is good once again!!!

KMN
'03 Boxster, Lapis Blue

P.S.
If anybody needs a headlight switch, I've got one for sale

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light & Faulty Light Switch