Sponsored by:

Boxster S or 911TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S or 911TT

Is there any one that would not go from the Boxster S to the 911 twin turbo. Money not being a factor. Well, it always is but lets put that aside please. I would be looking at something 04-05, low miles. I do all my own maintenance so I dint care about that. Are there bad years or options?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Why would you?

Is the TT faster in a straight line? Sure. And if that is what you want, then why even ask the question. Of course you can also ask yourself where in the heck you'll be able to use all that power. Heck I can't even get on the 3.2 for more than a few seconds.

If you need space for a little kid to ride in back, the answer is again obvious.

But I shudder at the transaction costs...the overhead you pay to buy and sell the cars even if via a private party. The taxes, the ads, the dealer's profit, the hassle. The insurance.

Not to mention the unknowns of going from a car you know and a car that you have to guess at...in maintenance and handling.

Both wonderful cars, very different in handling. Different in cabin space. Different in trunk space.

I have a Boxster S. I'd rather have my '99 2.5 with its ~50 less HP back. It was more fun because it didn't have as much power and I could drive it harder in more places. The S is a better car by the numbers, but not as much fun. Heck, I'd even rather have my 85 HP 914 back if the darn things weren't rust buckets.

IMHO, YMMV
Old 07-04-2009, 10:24 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, one is mid engine rwd and the other is rear engine awd, and different power too. I don't think you can compare them, they're too different.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Default I HAVE HAD BOTH

I went from a 1998 2.5L Boxster with 201hp to a modified 996TT with 500hp. The little Boxster was a lot of fun and a nice little track car. But there is no real comparison to be made with that car and TT which is a true supercar.
Maybe an S is a better all around car, but it is still not in the same league as a TT.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

So, RXDOC, then no regrets I take it. I too love my S and will humble admit even under the best of conditions I can not extract its potential. I have just always wanted the TT and am not to proud to ask if anyone did what I am contemplating and then regretted the decision. You know I am trying build points in my head to justify the price. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Went from 2.7l Boxster to Cayman S (2008) then 6 weeks later....

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
Is there any one that would not go from the Boxster S to the 911 twin turbo. Money not being a factor. Well, it always is but lets put that aside please. I would be looking at something 04-05, low miles. I do all my own maintenance so I dint care about that. Are there bad years or options?
after accident settlement for Cayman (another driver hit car and totaled it) bought an 03 Turbo with around 9400 miles.

Great car. But Turbo and Boxster/Cayman are different. They all share some common features mainly they are all 3 great cars to drive, but they are different cars.

Turbo is a grand touring/near super car.

Don't know about bad years, but I like to stay away from 1st MY cars if possible. Stay away from modified or tracked cars.

Options.... the only "bad" one is Navi. But IIRC new CDs available that you can now update the Navi. Double check on this.

My '03 came with 6-CD changer, auto climate control, onboard computer, cruise, intermittent wipers, dimming mirror, power seats with memory, rear wiper, 6-speed, Bi-xenon lights, traction control, black leather.

Car an absolute blast to drive, around town or way out on the open road.

Unfortunately on road trip with car Friday night on 50 highway in eastern Nevada and hit mule deer and car damaged and not driveable. On way (as I type) back to Livermore, CA to be repaired. Hit claimed front bumper, right headlight, right fender, radiator, A/C condensor, fan, brackets, wheel liner and associated hardware but no other body, chassis, suspension, steering or drivetrain (awd you know) damage sustained.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dang Macster! your cars have been getting banged up recently! sorry to hear about the 996TT.

I too aspire to have one of those for my next car.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
My last 3 Porsches have been 996TT, 996GT3 and my current car an 02 986S. From a fun factor standpoint, I like the Boxster best of all 3 of these cars. Of course, the GT3 was a track beast and I do miss it, but for all around fun, it's hard to compete with a Boxster. I don't miss the TT at all since that car had too much luxury and not enough sporting character.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Damn Marc. You have the worst luck lately. Better do something to get your Karma back in shape!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Glad your here to tell us about the dear hunt. Poor thing. Did you get out and make sure it wad dead. Ok Ok just kidding no hate mail please. That is one way to get all the new rubbed right off. Now you can park it any where.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the TT.. if you don't like it, you can always go back to a Boxster afterall.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 PM
lawdevil
7th Gear

Talking

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Heck, I'd even rather have my 85 HP 914 back if the darn things weren't rust buckets.IMHO, YMMV
If you get your 914 back, I'll get mine. Damn I loved that car!"

mike
Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I lusted after a TT cab to replace my Boxster S for a while. However, I got to spend some quality time with one recently and changed my mind. It's a great car no doubt, really fast compared to the Boxster S. However it felt shockingly heavy to me and I didn't really care for the handling characteristics of the awd. Overall it just seemed like a lot more of a GT car than a sports car to me. I drive my Boxster S as a 2nd/3rd car for pleasure only right now and given that purpose, the Boxster S seems to suit my needs better.

Spend some quality time with a TT if you can. I think its so different from your Boxster S you'll know pretty quick if its the right car for you.

Quick Reply: Boxster S or 911TT