Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Any good temp repairs for rear window crack other than packing tape?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009 | 12:26 AM
racingrich
Track Day

Default Any good temp repairs for rear window crack other than packing tape?

Hi Guys

I'm sure someone has a creative temp repair for a small crack I have in my rear window on my 1999 Boxster.

What are your creative ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by racingrich; 06-25-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-02-2009 | 04:13 AM
Chigurh
1st Gear

Window tint film, with minimum tint. I think clear film is available.
Old 08-02-2009 | 02:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by racingrich
Hi Guys

I'm sure someone has a creative temp repair for a small crack I have in my rear window on my 1999 Boxster.

Thanks
Hard to beat clear plastic packing box tape. I used some for couple of years without any water getting in past the tape. Had to renew the tape several times.

Prompted to use tape when dealer quoted me nearly $5000 for new top just because window cracked. Top in otherwise fine shape. (I suspect had I the time and place to do the work I could install new top myself at cost of my time and of course the cost of a new top. Might explore this at some point in future if I still own car and the top needs updating.)

Finally got tired of tape and rear window's aging -- car an 02 -- and decided to have rear window replaced. Had it done at local shop but not real happy with the job. I expected old window to be removed and new one sewn in its place.

Old window cut out leaving the sewn in border still in canvas. New plastic window sewn in and now top has two rows of stitching around rear window opening. New window very clear, quite flexible, and water tight, but I would have preferred to have the old window completely removed before installing new window.

If you have new window installed be sure you get in writing the installation details and your happy with them *before* you give go-ahead to have new window installed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-05-2009 | 12:49 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racingrich
Hi Guys

Thanks
How about the clear tape that is used for weather proofing. It's a little thicker and more flexible (rubbery) than the packing tape. It's very clear too.

I just did a quick search on Google: http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0000108.html

I'm sure you can get it at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Any good temp repairs for rear window crack other than packing tape?