Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question... How do I remove the radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 AM
todor
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dumb question... How do I remove the radiator?

It seems like it should be obvious, and I'm sure it'll turn out to be very easy, but I can't figure out how to remove the left radiator from its mounts. I need to remove it in order to replace the upper hose (it's cracked and leaking).

The bumper and shroud are off. I can see 2 round mounts on the outer side (wheel-well side) of the radiator, and I removed the metal clips from them, but then what??? The inner side of the radiator seems to have a rod sticking out of it that's pushed though a bracket attached to the body of the car, so I assume that just slides out once the other side is free... Help please...

While we're on the subject, what's up with those weird hose clamps that Porsche uses...??? They're close to impossible to remove without special tools, and obviously not reusable. They seem to be pretty weak to begin with... why did they use them? Is there any trick to removing them when there's not much space to use pliers? I removed the one that goes to the center radiator using large pliers. I'm planning to cut the other two off with a dremel because there's no way I can squeeze those large pliers in there without damaging something else.

Thanks in advance. The car is a 2000 Boxster S.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Yes there are special clamping pliers that you can use. The one I use even come with a flexible extension and locking device. AS you can see from where some of these clams are it makes you scratch your head. No doubt they do not intend on real people taking them off. They are reusable as any othere spring compression type clamp in good shape. I can add a pic if that will help.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM
todor
AutoX

Thanks. Well I don't have much faith in those clamps anyway, so I'll replace them with regular screw-type clamps. In fact, the previous owner had already put an additional screw-type clamp on one of the hoses right next to the original clamp... I suppose he had a leak! I assume Porsche used those spring-loaded clamps to allow for expansion under heat, but I really think the design is flawed because the clamping force may not be enough for all situations.

Anyway, any word on removing the radiator from its mounts? I seem to need to remove it in order to disconnect the upper hose, otherwise there's no way I can get any tools in there (I can barely even get my hand in there).
Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

take out all the bolts in the steel bracket and remove it, then the radiuator will be loose.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM
todor
AutoX

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
take out all the bolts in the steel bracket and remove it, then the radiuator will be loose.
Do you mean the bracket on the front side of the radiator (closer to the center of the front bumper)? It seems to be held by 2 big nuts. Remove those? I know instead of asking I should just try it but I'm at work now, and not next to the car. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

the black bracket that holds the from under it and on the side
Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 PM
todor
AutoX

Oh, you mean that large bracket in the wheel well... Ok, got it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove that one... but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2009, 05:54 AM
todor
AutoX

Ok, the job is done!

So for others' future reference, to remove the radiator:
1. Remove the 2 metal clips (one on each radiator mount on the wheel-well side)
2. Remove the large black 90-degree bracket to which the radiator is mounted (it's the one holding the mounts whose metal clips you just undid). There is 1 nut on the body of the car in the wheel well, and 2 bolts under the car.
3. If you haven't already, detach the A/C condenser (smaller radiator in front of the main radiator) by unscrewing the 2 torx screws and then sliding it toward the center of the front bumper. It's light enough that you can just let it hang by its hoses.
4. Slide the main radiator toward the outside of the car. Now it should be fully loose, save for the hoses that attach to it. While moving it around there, make sure its ends don't poke and damage the A/C condenser.

To undo the original Porsche hose clamps, squeeze their ends together with pliers and pull the hose. It may be easier to squeeze the clamp and slide it back away from the radiator neck with the help of a screwdriver (while still squeezing the ends), and then when it's not clamping on the radiator neck anymore, just twist/pull the hose off.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

You forgot the parts about
Make sure you dont break the vent line
Make sure you plug the vent line in securly.
Make sure the hoseclamps are on tight,
Make sure you didnt loosen any of the quick connects

Quick Reply: Dumb question... How do I remove the radiator?