Sponsored by:

RMS sweat vs. Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Ruby13
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS sweat vs. Leak

I purchased my '03 Boxster from a dealer (has 4 other major brands both new and used) that does not handle Porsche. I was given a full 12 month power train warranty. The car is fine in all respects but my mechanic (Porsche trained) says the RMS is starting to leak. The dealer's mechanic who has stated he cannot fix but will cover the cost indicates it's just "sweat" that is normal for the year and mileage (48K) and claims to have cofirmed this with Porsche.

Can someone give me their opinion on the difference. MY mecahnic says a leak is a leak and won't get any better. The dealer obviouly does not want to pay what he considers minor "sweat".

Opinions welcome. Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Dealer's mech. telling you "they all do that". BS. My '02 RMS/IMS o-ring replaced....

Originally Posted by Ruby13
I purchased my '03 Boxster from a dealer (has 4 other major brands both new and used) that does not handle Porsche. I was given a full 12 month power train warranty. The car is fine in all respects but my mechanic (Porsche trained) says the RMS is starting to leak. The dealer's mechanic who has stated he cannot fix but will cover the cost indicates it's just "sweat" that is normal for the year and mileage (48K) and claims to have cofirmed this with Porsche.

Can someone give me their opinion on the difference. MY mecahnic says a leak is a leak and won't get any better. The dealer obviouly does not want to pay what he considers minor "sweat".

Opinions welcome. Thanks
at around 20,000 miles and 200,000 miles later ain't so much as sweated a drop of oil.

Insist it be fixed. And insist the IMS o-ring/encapsulated bolt upgrade be fitted as well. Since IMS just under RMS can't tell which is leaking and the "fix" is to assume both and fix them both.

And while RMS out of engine have Porsche mechanic check position of crankshaft in engine block. A few, very few, but not zero engines had the crankshaft out of place slightly (but in this context a thousandths of an inch or two is as good as a mile...) and engine replacement is the only cure. The RMS willl never remain oil tight long and eventually (sooner rather than later) the crank's position will worsen and engine failure the result.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 01S made it to 62K before we started to notice any 'seep'. Yes there are varying stages of leak... but once something is coming out it will not just go away. Mine is just a drop every once in a while at this point, so my shop instructed me to go driving and burn out the clutch, then come back for the fix.

If you have a warranty that covers it, get it fixed now. Maybe go do a few good runs, and perhaps you can get a new clutch too 'while you are in there'.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Ruby13
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's my intention to really work down the clutch. Releases high now so the thought was the RMS, IMS, clutch and flywheel if needed. Warranty runs till March so they can pay me now or pay me later.

Quick Reply: RMS sweat vs. Leak