What to buy? 986S or 987S

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's done!

I picked up a seal grey 05 987S last thursday. It has a fairly basic option list: PASM, sports seats and some amount of leather details (not really sure what it takes to qualify as a "full leather interior", but doors, center console and "pod" has leather.

It also has 19" Carrera wheels with spacers in the back and TechArt sport springs. I will probably switch these back to stock at some point - with PASM activated they make the car feel like a pogo stick, and the lowest part of the plastic (by the front wheels) are like an inch above the ground, if that.

It does look great though

There are two things I need to do: Get a Wind Deflector and paint the hood (big scratch - probably from a kid playing with something on it), other than that, with just 25KKm on the clock, it's like a new car.

Oh, and pay my rennlist membership - It must have expired because I can't upload pictures anymore...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Niels Jørgensen; 05-10-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Adding picture
Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Niels Jørgensen
It's done!

I picked up a seal grey 05 987S last thursday. It has a fairly basic option list: PASM, sports seats and some amount of leather details (not really sure what it takes to qualify as a "full leather interior", but doors, center console and "pod" has leather.

It also has 19" Carrera wheels with spacers in the back and TechArt sport springs. I will probably switch these back to stock at some point - with PASM activated they make the car feel like a pogo stick, and the lowest part of the plastic (by the front wheels) are like an inch above the ground, if that.

It does look great though

There are two things I need to do: Get a Wind Deflector and paint the hood (big scratch - probably from a kid playing with something on it), other than that, with just 25KKm on the clock, it's like a new car.

Oh, and pay my rennlist membership - It must have expired because I can't upload pictures anymore...
Very nice! Now get out and enjoy it.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congratulations, it looks great!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats on your purchase it's a beautiful car!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
Here's a photo of the '04 Special Edition. Although that's what I have, this photo is off the web and not actually my car. I don't find anything lacking in the quality, but it's mostly leather.

PS. This photo is off a Tip, I have the 6 Speed.
I too have the Special Edition and I believe we got the top of the line 986 interior. I actually slightly prefer my interior to the 987 interior. However, I have a couple friends that have non-special edition 986's and without some of the bells and whistles in the Special Edition cars, I prefer the 987 interiors. So for me 986 Special Edition > 987 > 986. In fairness I haven't seen one of the special edition 987's to see if there were any cool add-on's in those.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
I too have the Special Edition and I believe we got the top of the line 986 interior. I actually slightly prefer my interior to the 987 interior. However, I have a couple friends that have non-special edition 986's and without some of the bells and whistles in the Special Edition cars, I prefer the 987 interiors. So for me 986 Special Edition > 987 > 986. In fairness I haven't seen one of the special edition 987's to see if there were any cool add-on's in those.
Yes, we got spoiled by our interior. It's gonna take a LOT to get me to give it up. I've had 987's as loaners but of course they were pretty basic. I'm sure if you checked off the right options, you could get a very nice 987 interior but it will cost you. That's what is nice about the special editions. They're a good deal for what you get.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

I like your choice, the 987 is a better car IMHO, find some twisty roads and have some fun.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all, I'm loving every second of it so far, and the weather have provided no excuse to put the top up yet

I have one little issue: There's a strange sound from the front right side when braking at low speed - it wasn't there the first two days, so I think I might have hit something (the car is so low with the techart springs that it feels like I scrape chewing gum off the road when I go by).

I can't feel anything in the steering or the brakes and there is absolutely no vibration or sound at speed. I can't see anything obviously wrong either. The sound is like "an emtpy bottle rolling inside the right door".

My buest guess is that something (maybe a small stone), somehow, made its way up under the bellypan and when I brake, it rolls forward, creating this strange sound.

I need to get a new jack so I can lift it up and take a look (my old jack is not techart compatible )
Old 05-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

2 weeks later, and I finally got annoyed enough with the sound to do some carpet lifting and guess what. There's an undocumented storage area (at least PO thought so ) beneath the passenger seat hiding two bottles - one emtpy, one not - so my initial assesment of the source was more accurate than I suspected

The seats are so low I never even considered the possibility that anything could possibly fit beneath them.

Quick Reply: What to buy? 986S or 987S