Sponsored by:

987 S Autocross Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
993TTaddict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 S Autocross Alignment

Hello- Don't be scared - I have escaped from another forum to ask for some help.
I may wind up at an autocross with my wife's bone stock 987 S and would like to put some negative camber in the front to keep from shredding the outside edges. It has the 19s with Pilot Sports. It is primarily a car to tour with so I do not want to get too radical. Anyone out there with a suggestion/comment on some alignment specs thay have been pleased with ???
Thanks in advance -

BTW -I do really like the car and may break down and get a set of 18s with some "R" compound tires later on.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 AM
THXBABE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you will need to monkey with the alignment. I have a stock 02 S and do auto cross events. My times last year were competitive in my group (novice) and usually within a second of the non-novice group (PCA AX classes). Keep the air pressures right and you will not do a lot of damage to the tires. My fronts have about 18K miles, 7 or 8 auto crosses and a DE on them and they are in fine shape.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I don't agree. There is virtually no negative camber on the front of my 987 and if driven hard would kill the tires at an autocross. Take one of the 3 strut bolts off to see if you have room to slide the strut top inwards. A quick and dirty way would be to move both inwards the same amount, re-set the toe, and leave it that way. It will probably not get you more than -3/4 of a degree but it would be acceptable for street driving as well.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, the box has around 8deg caster & gains a LOT of camber as steering angle increases. you can still benefit from a bit more static camber than OEM. FYI, most boxsters are aligned w/ around -0.3 deg camber up front from the factory, although the spec leaves a lot of wiggle room.

a stock 987's front camber should be adjustable from about +0.1 -> -0.8 degrees. if you mark the current location on the strut towers, you can slide the struts all the way inboard to max out neg camber. this WILL affect toe, but only slightly & in the outward direction. IMO it's not enough to matter on an auto-x course.

also even out your tire pressures so they are about the same F/R. i use 39 cold at auto-x on a box.

Quick Reply: 987 S Autocross Alignment