Sponsored by:

Replacement motor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 AM
hobbstc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement motor question

Just contacted the P-car dealer that sold and serviced my 03 CS that I just bought. Turns out it had the dreaded IMS failure about 20k ago. First question, is there any reports of more reliability out of the replacement engines? Second, do you know if there's any kind of warranty on them, like 2yr 20k or something? Thanks!

PS Hoping that lightning doesn't strike the same car twice...
Old 03-23-2009, 03:56 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I believe the replacement engines have "minor" updates such as part revisions, etc., but the basic engine design is the same, so you would have the same inherent IMS weaknesses, etc. Note that although IMS failures are widely publicized, I don't think they are widespread otherwise you would be reading about it all day in the newspaper with class action lawsuits, etc.

If your engine was replaced (installed) by an authorized Porsche dealer, it does come with a warranty. You'd have to look it up, but I believe it is something like 2YR/24K. That is if you paid for it. If it was done under warranty, then the warranty would be for the end of the original manufacturer warranty on the car. Is yours an '03 CS (= Cayman S)? Something looks like a typo there.

There are some interesting developments from Flat 6 Innovations and LN Engineering. They have an upgraded IMS rear bearing and are working on some other developments. Their RMS Retrofit can be installed during a clutch replacement, but not on '06+ cars (i.e. 987 Boxsters and Caymans).
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
hobbstc
Intermediate

Oops, meant Boxster S. It was a typo. Yeah it was done under warranty and the warranty is gone. Oh well. My p-car mechanic agrees with you about this not being a widespread issue. He says of the 100 boxters he's worked on, 0 have had an IMS failure. Small sampling, but he picked this car out for me and said drive it and don't worry about it. He said he will make it right if there is a problem.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

...said drive it and don't worry about it.
Good advise.

Quick Reply: Replacement motor question