Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about driving this car in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Nice pics. Sounds like you had a nice time. But that ain't driving....

Originally Posted by bic
So you guys heard my concerns about driving the 986S in the snow in my first post...

Well today I found myself near downtown L.A. with nothing to do and I realized that with it getting late in the season and with the rain and colder temperatures, today would be a good day to see some of the white stuff (I've spent 80% of my life in places where it doesn't snow so it's kind of a big deal for me). I've also been meaning to check out this Angeles Crest Highway I've heard so much about since I moved out here. I figured I'd take a chance and make the drive not knowing what to expect and the worst thing that'll happen is I'll have to turn around when conditions get bad. I set off and about half an hour later, I was here:

The Angeles Crest skid pad?

Getting closer to the goal:

Started seeing a good amount of snow here, about 30 miles from L.A.

I'm almost embarrassed to say it but this is about the highest I've ever been in a car (legally):

It got down to 22 degrees a few miles up the road from here!

This is about where I had to turn around. It was starting to get dark, temps were in the low 20's, more ice was forming on the road, and I was still rocking summer tires from Florida. Not exactly the safest combination of things.

The Boxster handled itself remarkably well considering this was by far the highest up a mountain it's ever been and the coldest temperatures it has experienced. I used more caution as the thermometer approached freezing but even still, the car felt firmly planted and I never felt a loss of traction. I passed over a number of wet spots but never any snow or ice except a patch or two when I pulled onto the shoulder to take pictures. Since I already made it to 7,000+ feet and most of the way through the mountains, I think I probably could have made it all the way through without an issue. If not for the sun setting, I might have kept going.

All in all, it was an incredible drive. It's not the most challenging road in the world but the scenery, lack of driveways/intersections/stop signs, pullouts, passing lanes, pavement, and most of all scenery makes it really special. The snow was just the bonus.

in the snow. That's driving with snow around on the ground.

You still have to be careful. Cold pavement, summer tires, high performance tires, they're slick, don't grip as well.

Also, mountain roads are notorious for throwing up a tightening radius turn at you at the worst possible time.

Road in shade can have frost on it, or ice from snow melt water draining off slope and onto road then freezing in shade in cold temps.

Snow and melting snow can loosen rock and you can come around a corner to find some pretty big rocks in the way. (Happened to me in another car -- after a rain storm -- and was not able to dodge the rock in time. Edge of front tire caught rock and blew hole in sidewall. End of tire. Luckily, wheel not damaged. Had to change flat tire on narrow mountain road in pitch blackness with only a feeble flashlight (and car headlights which don't shine any light on side of car) for illumination.)

Melt water or rain water can carry fine silt across road. This stuff is like grease if you encounter it. Before you can react you can be looking at a view that only a few people if any will ever see, and you'll remember it the rest of you life, which is probably only seconds away from ending as you fly off mountain road down into the chasm below.

Then there are animals. Not uncommon to encounter deer or larger animals, even livestock if open range. (Fences fail.)

Not saying not to go for those mountain drives -- I do whenever I can get away (and I get away often as some are just minutes from my house) -- just be careful. There's more to the mountain roads than worrying if a bit of snow is on them.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:59 AM
bic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great advice. I'm glad I got to read it after I somehow managed to cheat death.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

bic,

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing your trip!

Keep in mind that 22 degrees F isn't a big deal for the car at all (though all the posts about summer tires in temps below 30 or 40 degress are spot on and should be heeded). I drive my '02 all year round and even at 22 degrees below 0, the car starts and runs perfectly. With serious, dedicated snow tires, the Boxster platform is almost unstopable if you have enough clearance.

Enjoy your car!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

When you leave from a garage (or lower elevation where the temperature is warmer) and drive where the road surface is only mildly cold (20-30F, etc)... aren't the tires going to heat up from driving and stay warm enough to work just fine?

Wouldn't they heat up pretty quickly even if they did start out cold?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Just intended as a bit of friendly driving advice for someone I thought...

Originally Posted by bic
That's great advice. I'm glad I got to read it after I somehow managed to cheat death.
new to the area, to mountain driving.

Cold weather, cold tires, not the only thing one needs to think about. Want you to enjoy many miles of mountain road driving with nothing more than fond memories of each mile.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:56 AM
bic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, and I really do appreciate the advice. I was thinking of all those things as I proceeded through the mountains and drove very cautiously, and drove slower and slower as the temperature dropped. I will say that even though my eyes were focused ahead, looking for rocks, animals, ice, damp patches of road, and other obstacles, I didn't think about the the effect that silt might have on my tires or that melting snow might dislodge some rocks and send them my way. I'll keep that in mind the next time I take a trip up there.

Quick Reply: Questions about driving this car in the snow...