Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster as a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:48 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am all for driving them, and my girls wish I did relegate mine to a weekend car.......
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Whoops Correction: my girls wish I DID NOT relegate mine to weekend duty
Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I had to explain it was nearly 9 years old. I thought it noteworthy not because the car is well preserved but because the styling is still modern. A nearly 17 year old design rarely does that.
That's a VERY good point- they've aged incredibly well! When the average person sees a Boxster, they don't see a Boxster, they see a Porsche that looks like it just rolled off the showroom last week, and instantly assume we paid $80k for it.

I don't think many people realize that I paid less for my car then they did for theirs....
Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 AM
lolayay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Buy a civic that gets 35 - 45 mpg and drive the crap out of it to work and save the Boxster for the weekends. (the boxster will stay cleaner that way!)

The honda will make it to 200k(and then some) no questions about it, but the boxster and high mileage is an iffy gamble.

For as many people out there with 100k on their boxsters, there are as many that had the motor go ka-blam with under 100k miles on the odo. 100 miles a day commute would be a waste of a sports car unless it was twisty backroads.

I have a 50 mile round trip and traffic sucks. I gave up my scion xb over a year ago and I drive my boxster every day, but mostly because i hated to let the boxster rot by sitting in the garage. I rack up the miles half as fast as you but your climate may be better for a car vs the nice salt and crap they throw down in ohio. I have winter tires on mine right now and have been playing in the snow for two weeks.

Bottom line, do what you think is best for your wallet. An extra 5grand for a cheepo older civic and extra 150 a year for liability insurance on it or what does it cost for repairs on the boxster?

my 2 cents. best of luck making your decision.

Tom
You got it perfectly right Tom, best for the wallet... The solution you provided sounds like a good plan! For cars in the 5K price range, I don't think the owner will wait for me to send the car to a mechanics for inspection. Calling friends who know cars to help~~
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 AM
lolayay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SKM
I'd keep the Boxster as the daily driver. At 90K miles, its value has already diminished. Buying the Mazda 3 represents a significant outlay of cash to preserve a Boxster with a relatively low value.
It's heart-breaking to know the value of the car is now low due to my love of driving it (it is my only car that goes to work, grocery, AX, etc). You are right, I won't preserve its value much but still want to preserve it from major breakdown, so that I have some fun car
Old 02-12-2009, 04:50 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you own a Ferrari, I can't think of many situations where it makes actual financial sense to operate 2 cars rather than just one.

Having owned a boxster and 2 Mazda 3's I would stick w/ the Boxster any day.

Don't get me wrong, for what it is the Mazda 3 is the best economy car around, hands down IMHO. I like the styling, quality, etc. The price isn't bad and the resale is incredible. BUT, it's a 4 banger, and here's the worst part, it's friggin front wheel drive! I just can't stand front wheel drive.

So, drive the Boxster every day and enjoy! Take the money you would have spent on the Mazda and put it in savings for a rainy day.

There's my .02
Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did u check the price for your 2002 boxster S?
after u see the price, you won't feel any pain driving it.... cause it might be cheaper the Mazda3
Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 AM
lolayay
Intermediate

Haha, yes I did. The 2002 Boxster S price is in the same ballpark as a new Mazda 3 (although the joy of driving is 20 times more).

My logic goes like this:
1) By getting an every day car, I know I am NOT going to preserve the value of the Boxster (money sense). However I want to preserve it (mechanical sense) so that the Boxster won't go kaput. Or shall I say, less likely to go kaput.
2) If I don't get another every day car, the Boxster will be more likely to break down. When that happens, I need to shed more money to get a (or two) car(s) to have the same level of enjoyment and convenience as what I have now.

Having said the above, I did go out trying used civic's and a new Mazda 3 in the past few days. All I had were huge frustrations (no I didn't use Boxster as the standard of course). The frustrations came from the quality of used cars (sneaky used car dealers, clueless private owners) and the price of a leather-seat Mazda 3 (22k!!!) Sorry I sound convoluted. That's why I am here asking for advice. Thanks guys!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

just remember to drive the boxster least once a week so everything stays in working order. worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit for long periods.

heck, put the top down and make the move to sunny day only driving : )

Tom
Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Drive it everyday that you can. I have a pickup I drive if it is raining all day, heavy snow, or if I need to haul something. Otherwise I drive the boxster. I had to go to lowes after work yesterday and pick up some trim and I was bummed reading this thread because it was nice out and I did not have my P-car.

If it were warmer I would have put the top down and used the boxster to haul the 8 foot trim pieces !
Old 02-13-2009, 04:23 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got it!

Buy 2 Boxsters, then they will both last twice as long!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
I've got it!

Buy 2 Boxsters, then they will both last twice as long!
Have you ever heard the fable about the pig standing between two stacks of hay who starved to death because he couldn't decide which one to eat first?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Sputter
Pro

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Have you ever heard the fable about the pig standing between two stacks of hay who starved to death because he couldn't decide which one to eat first?
I guess it would. Pigs are grain eaters
Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sputter
I guess it would. Pigs are grain eaters
So you're saying...buy a Cayenne?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Sputter
Pro