Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by loosecannon
April Fastrack is out, here's the stuff that interests Boxster owners:

-Move Porsche Boxster (non-S) ‘97-’04 (986)from AS to BS
- Move Porsche Boxster S ‘00-’04 (986) from AS to BS
They still combining the old BS with the old CS into a new CS?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 AM
loosecannon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
They still combining the old BS with the old CS into a new CS?
The move of all current AS cars to BS and all current BS cars to CS is still just a proposal so it's seperate from this proposal. I would assume that if both proposals go through, the 986 would find itself in the new CS competing against RX8's and MSR's.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM
grey ghost
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if we get enough letters they will move them down to the new C-stock with the 370Z, Rx-8, MSR's
would be a good class, so far they do not have enough letters to do this. if you want to run Scca with a Boxster you need to write the Seb on this, you would be surprised at how few letters it take to do this.
but more is better.

thanks Rob.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't think the Boxster is outclassed by the S2000 or needs to move down a class and thrown in with miatas and base solstices to be competitive. I think we simply need more and better drivers in Boxsters to show up to nationals, that's the only real problem. The classing is fine.

There was, what, one Boxster at SCCA nationals last year?

...Either that, or the Boxster drivers that autocross tend to weigh their cars down with electric heated seats, amplified BOSE subwoofers, air conditioners, and stuff like that, which hampers performance a bit.

Edit: http://sccaforums.com/forums/storage...0Nationals.pdf
58 AS-class drivers at nationals, and just two Boxsters.

Last edited by sjfehr; 03-25-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
00r101
Racer

WRT the April fastrack I wrote the SEB that I agree with moving the base 986 to BS but not the 986S. The S has way more HP and torque than the reigning champion RX8 and weighs about 100 lbs less to boot. The S does suffer from a big gap between 1st and 2nd but I think the extra torque will cover it. The RX8 is stiffer and has better camber curves but that's about it.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:58 AM
loosecannon
Advanced

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I don't think the Boxster is outclassed by the S2000 or needs to move down a class and thrown in with miatas and base solstices to be competitive. I think we simply need more and better drivers in Boxsters to show up to nationals, that's the only real problem. The classing is fine.

There was, what, one Boxster at SCCA nationals last year?

...Either that, or the Boxster drivers that autocross tend to weigh their cars down with electric heated seats, amplified BOSE subwoofers, air conditioners, and stuff like that, which hampers performance a bit.

Edit: http://sccaforums.com/forums/storage...0Nationals.pdf
58 AS-class drivers at nationals, and just two Boxsters.
By all accounts the 986S is far quicker on any auto-x course than the base 986 and AFAIK a 986S has won Nationals only once(2001) and no 986 has been a threat at any National or Tour event. So, if the 986S is in a different league than the 986, it only makes sense to have them in different classes. those two Boxsters at Nationals were both S's, and this proposal is for the Non-S car. I guess we will know more after September because I'll be in AS with a 2004 986 with no extra weight options (unless Arctic silver weighs more) and I consider myself a decent driver. Everybody with a 986 should be writing a letter to the SEB supporting the move to the same class as the 350Z and RX-8.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:40 PM
grey ghost
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the record, in 2001 the National champ in A-stock was Andy MAckee, in his 2.7 986, I was driving a 986S in Super-stock, I came in 3rd. my time 49.664 Andy's time 49.770. there is not that much difference between the two on a national course. I will put down that the weather was better for Andy, as he ran later in the day, temperature for my runs in the 50's and Andy in the 70's. Setup for the two cars, Andy's had single Adjustable shocks, and I had the GT-3 sway bar. both on 18" Hoosiers ifI remember right.

the 986 S has never won at Nationals. the best it has done is one 2nd and 3rd'in SS and a 3rd in AS. these are my results

I will say the New S2000CR is faster than the "S" on current style courses that favor transitions. Hope this changes for Lincoln. I have hopes of returning this year in my 550SE. I did not want to attend last few years as work has interfered.

I feel the S would be a good fit with the RX-8.

I did the Parade last year, here in Charlotte, came in Second overall behind Bobby in his Race 914.
My S was stock except for the Gt-3 bar and Hoosiers.

thanks Rob Falkner
Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 AM
loosecannon
Advanced

So, who has written a letter to the SEB (seb@scca.com) in support of this move? It's a great idea and would allow a lot of 986 Boxsters to compete in a class where they have a chance to trophy, but people need to send letters to make this happen!!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 PM
loosecannon
Advanced

Looks like the 986 is going to the combined BS/CS, here's the link to the November Fastrack and yes, the 986S move is a misprint: http://scca.com/documents/Fastrack/0...strack-nov.pdf

Quick Reply: scca moving to b-stock member comment