Sponsored by:

Boxster guru/dealership mechanic help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Fractured
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster guru/dealership mechanic help needed

The car is a 2002 Boxster S. My wife and I have been experiencing some problems operating the alarm with the key fob—sometimes it arm/disarms, sometimes it doesn't. My wife will occasionally need to manually unlock the car, which can trigger the alarm. Our independent Porsche mechanic hooked it up to his diagnostic equipment and it spit out two fault codes: 54 (or 56—can't remember) and 60.

The 54 or 56 code says that something isn't locking properly or fully, and this faulted 16 times. The 60 code says the radio receiver is faulty, and this fault showed up 21 times. Does anybody know if the 54 or 56 code tells where the fault is occurring? Also, is the radio receiver the same thing as a control module for the security system, or for all the electronics in the car? My mechanic's system can read the code basics, but he doesn't have the full-blown dealership computer system.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Any tire recommendations (not Pirelli) for the 18" wheels?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't indicate where you are located, so it's going to be hard for someone to recommend a guru/dealership for you to go to.

You might try posting your question on this website and you may get lucky with someone who can answer your questions if there are no answers here:
http://www.ppbb.com/board/986board.htm

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Fractured
Advanced

Renn,

Thanks for your response. I'm located in the Tampa Bay area. I have a pretty good handle on the mechanics and dealerships in my area, and I trust me mechanic. My questions were about the the faults themselves.

By the way, nice 944 in your avatar (great photo too). My other car is an '89 NA that I've had for almost 14 years. Needless to say I love it.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you're in Tampa then you need to contact Pedro! I don't think he has much of a presence here on Rennlist, but he is a true Boxster "guru" and hangs out a lot on the Porsche Pete Boxster Board. Here's a link to his website with contact info:
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/About%20Us.html

Thanks for the compliments on the avatar pic - that was taken just one month ago at Virginia International Raceway. Seems like a LONG time ago right now with winter setting in up here!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Fractured
Advanced

Thanks for the links; I'll check them out.

If winter gets too long for you, we have the 48 Hours at Sebring in February. If your car isn't set up for racing, there's a DE group as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 AM
THXBABE
Instructor

Pedro is the man. His cell is on his website. Super friendly guy. He will help you if he can. He is in Weston, FL. Quite a trip down 75 for you.

I am having trouble with my key, so I took it apart. The back side of the circuit board, where the buttons make the contact that activate the controls, is total cr#p. Mine stopped working properly because the actuators (my made up word, not sure if it is right) on the circuitboard came apart. I put them back together, but it is doing it again, so I have to go in with some super glue this time.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try using the spare key to duplicate the problems?

Pressing down on the button will eventually crack the cicuit board, then it requires replacing.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Fractured
Advanced

I'll take the key fob apart and inspect the internals. Good thinking on the spare, but I don't have one.

THXBABE, were you at the instructors' school and D.E. event in November at Sebring? Your car looks familiar.

Thanks to all for the responses.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:34 AM
THXBABE
Instructor

Fractured

Unfortunately I was not at Sebring in November. I have driven Sebring in a 993, but haven't had the Box there yet. The picture in the avatar is at Homestead.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 PM
GMS
Pro

You should ALWAYS have a spare key (that works) and know where it is. Just go to the dealer and have another one cut, buy two remotes and have them programmed.

If you don't have the radio code, they can give you that too.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:54 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GMS
You should ALWAYS have a spare key (that works) and know where it is. Just go to the dealer and have another one cut, buy two remotes and have them programmed.

If you don't have the radio code, they can give you that too.

To get a spare key made involves the dealership sending info etc to PCNA in Atlanta who actually programs the key and will cost you big bucks...just be prepared to bend over...
Old 12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
GMS
Pro

At the local dealership, we (or the Porsche owner) take the car over (it's about 25 miles away) and they supply and cut the key, progamme the remote (s) and make sure it all works while we wait. Nothing to do with PCNA.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Been years (circa 2002) since I had a key replaced but when I ....

Originally Posted by GMS
At the local dealership, we (or the Porsche owner) take the car over (it's about 25 miles away) and they supply and cut the key, progamme the remote (s) and make sure it all works while we wait. Nothing to do with PCNA.
took car to dealership for new key -- under warranty -- had to leave car a couple of hours until dealership service could contact someone at either PCNA or factory -- I seem to remember "factory" -- for security codes to introduce new key to car's security system.

Do not know if this process no longer followed or perhaps the process is more streamlined.

Got an S loaner for a few hours though.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 PM
GMS
Pro

The new remote has a tag with an ID code on it. The tag also says do not loose...

Takes at the most 20 minutes. The key blank is the same as Audi and can be cut on the VAG machine.

Quick Reply: Boxster guru/dealership mechanic help needed