Horn replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Horn replacement advice

In March 2008, while my car was having it's 30,000 mile service (early at only 23K miles), the tech noticed my high horn was dead and since the car was still under warranty, replaced it.

I don't use the horn often but yesterday when I did use it, I could hear only the high horn working so that means my low horn died at some point. The car is an '04 with only 26K so I'm surprised that both horns have failed on a 4 year old car.

I did a search and did find it mentioned before but not too much information was found. Is anyone else having a problem with early horn failures? If so, do you think there is a better replacement then the OEM? If so, will it sound the same?

The car is no longer under warranty. I called the dealer and it's $180 to replace the low horn. Certainly not an expensive repair. I'm just wondering if it makes sense to replace another horn with the same part that might just fail in another 4 years. I haven't had to replace many horns in my previous cars and certainly not both of them in only 4 years.

I'll probably just go with the dealer replacement unless I learn of a better and more reliable solution.
Thanks,
Charlie
Old 11-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess to each his or her own on what is an expensive repair, but 180 for a horn is expensive for a dam horn. I would find an aftermarket horn and do it my self. Maybe a salvage yard for pennys on the dollar. I doubt it will effect its collect ability. You could probably get a nice little air horn package for 180.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
Well I guess to each his or her own on what is an expensive repair, but 180 for a horn is expensive for a dam horn. I would find an aftermarket horn and do it my self. Maybe a salvage yard for pennys on the dollar. I doubt it will effect its collect ability. You could probably get a nice little air horn package for 180.
I would consider an aftermarket horn if it sounded the same and would last longer. I would not consider one from a salvage yard since it could be near the end of its life. From what little I have found out so far, it appears the location of these horns is what may lead to their early failure. A used one is that much closer to the end.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

I recently noticed my horn sounds different too, sort of like a sick goose. I've heard many owners mention they've had their horns fail and had to be replaced. Seems odd such a basic part has a common failure. There must have been some severe cost cutting to cheap out on such an item. Since I rarely use it so I'll wait it out and replace it down the road, and probably go with an aftermarket.

Some have gone with the horns from Griot's, but I don't remember which model was preferred.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/sear...rrivals&page=1

I'll stay tuned to see what others have to recommend.

Aron
Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
I recently noticed my horn sounds different too, sort of like a sick goose. I've heard many owners mention they've had their horns fail and had to be replaced. Seems odd such a basic part has a common failure. There must have been some severe cost cutting to cheap out on such an item. Since I rarely use it so I'll wait it out and replace it down the road, and probably go with an aftermarket.

Some have gone with the horns from Griot's, but I don't remember which model was preferred.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/sear...rrivals&page=1

I'll stay tuned to see what others have to recommend.

Aron
Yeah, they sound terrible with just one horn. I wouldn't wait too long because your 2nd and only horn could fail leaving you with no horn. As mentioned earlier, my first one failed in March and my second in November.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:57 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In my '04 550 SEs life 4 count 'em 4 horns were replaced...that paled compared to the IMS failure OUT of warranty.

Oh yeah, 2 fuel pumps too.

I no longer own a Porsche.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 AM
FallonBlood
AutoX

The horn is probably a small part of the $180 you were quoted... the low note is a bit tricky to get to because it's behind the hi-note and unless you have a bit of patience and nimble fingers, you have to remove the bumper cover to replace it... this is especially true if you have a center radiator.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

I replaced mine with Hella horns, $40 I think I paid then, but it was a few hours of work taking off the front bumper, which required the front end to be lifted, wheels removed, splash tray to be removed, then the bumper, then the left side radiator scoop, I couldn't do it without taking the bumper off

3 years later the horns still work great and are much louder than stock
Old 12-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
I replaced mine with Hella horns, $40 I think I paid then, but it was a few hours of work taking off the front bumper, which required the front end to be lifted, wheels removed, splash tray to be removed, then the bumper, then the left side radiator scoop, I couldn't do it without taking the bumper off

Are you kidding me ??! WTF ! Porsche designs a car that requires all these things to be removed to get at the HORNS ? I can't believe it.

Yes, one of my horns quit a couple weeks ago. I went to see if I could find it. No dice. Yes, even I can replace a horn .... IF I could find it.

I plan to replace my '05 S with a new one in 6 months or so ... depends on many things at this time .... but, if (IF) I replace the dang horns, I'll go to Pep Boys for a replacement. But, if you have to remove all the Tupperware, wheels, and pan .... well, I'm sure the price will be the same/same.

I may let the dealer replace the horn for the next guy.

Crikey !
Old 12-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Are you kidding me ??! WTF ! Porsche designs a car that requires all these things to be removed to get at the HORNS ? I can't believe it.

Yes, one of my horns quit a couple weeks ago. I went to see if I could find it. No dice. Yes, even I can replace a horn .... IF I could find it.

I plan to replace my '05 S with a new one in 6 months or so ... depends on many things at this time .... but, if (IF) I replace the dang horns, I'll go to Pep Boys for a replacement. But, if you have to remove all the Tupperware, wheels, and pan .... well, I'm sure the price will be the same/same.

I may let the dealer replace the horn for the next guy.

Crikey !
I've replaced horns in a one of my old cars. Not this time. When I realized how deeply it was buried, I brought it to a local Indie. Still wasn't cheap though. The cost of the actual horn was about $33. Don't ask what the labor was.

PS. I asked him about using a different horn. It's not the horn itself that's bad. It's the location. It's facing forward right behind the openings in the lower spoiler and it sucks up all the rain and crap. So we turned it slightly so it doesn't face true forward. Yeah, it might not be as loud but hopefully it will last longer.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stumpjumper

Originally Posted by Charlie C
I've replaced horns in a one of my old cars. Not this time. When I realized how deeply it was buried, I brought it to a local Indie. Still wasn't cheap though. The cost of the actual horn was about $33. Don't ask what the labor was.

PS. I asked him about using a different horn. It's not the horn itself that's bad. It's the location. It's facing forward right behind the openings in the lower spoiler and it sucks up all the rain and crap. So we turned it slightly so it doesn't face true forward. Yeah, it might not be as loud but hopefully it will last longer.
I just checked. I have a CPO car. I would think that the 'horn problem' would be included in the CPO. Not sure, tho.

But, I'll call. If it's 'covered' .... it'll only cause me to get a ride to the P store and drop the car off for a day or 2. Then, have the same person drive me back to retrieve my car.

Total time involved .... 2 hours.

Unbelievable.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 AM
FallonBlood
AutoX

The horn is a cpo covered item.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FallonBlood
The horn is a cpo covered item.
That's good to know.

But, having to drive the car 25 miles, drop it off, have someone pick me up (doubt if they will give me a loaner Toyota, like MB does?) and reverse all this a day or so later is a royal pain.

Maybe I'll call and see if they have a loaner ... I doubt it, tho. These are the guys that wanted 'sticker' for my new C4S.

Quick Reply: Horn replacement advice