Sponsored by:

Initial Mods to my 986

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:37 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds exciting.

For me... I will wait to see if the Canadian $ rebounds in the spring time....then it will be time for mods.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

My DIY work is taking a back seat to the holidays right now.

I've installed the passenger side GT3 seat which took me a few hours working slowly. I also installed the Sharkwerks fire ext bracket. I am using the GT3 Schroth harnesses that Porsche recommends.

Hopefully this weekend I'll spend some time on the car putting in the drivers seat and harness. My fire extinguisher with quick release arrived from Safecraft and will take about a minute to attach to the Sharkwerks plate. If time permits this week, I'm going to install a Brey-Krause Boxster roll bar extension (a quick 30 minute project, bought used from SBelles)) and the B&M short shifter.

Car goes in the shop January 5th for PSS9, front GT3 sway, Tarret rear sway and front/rear drop links.

....And check out the Momo wheel I ordered! I know it's kind of flashy but I want the car to feel 'racey' as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Default Installed Driver Side Seat and Fire Ext

I finally got around to installing the driver’s side GT3 seat and Schroth harness. Since I had already done the passenger side I was way up on the learning curve. Or so I thought. After I removed the 4 Torx bolts that hold the driver side seat down I found an unpleasant surprise under the seat not present on the passenger side. There is a TON more wiring !!!!!! In the pic shown below there is a black box with M535 written on it and a long German word containing “alarmanage.” I’m assuming this is part of the factory alarm system. Interestingly, it is not in my Bentley manual. Instead of one connection to the seat (shown above in the passenger side pic) there was a separate black box attached to the seat where the remainder of the wiring harness connected. I wanted to cry but alas the connectors on them came off fairly easily. After removing the seat, I reconnected the battery to make sure the car would start – it did. My airbag light was already on so I can’t comment on whether or not this would have been triggered. I just need to hook up my Durametric and kill the airbag light and see if it comes back on.

I also found under the seat an old license belonging to my mother, a Camel filterless (presumably my sister’s) and a pack of Cherry flavored Hall’s. Despite having a recent cold, I did not eat the Hall’s.

I also mounted my Safecraft fire ext to the beautiful Sharkwerks bracket that I put on a few weeks ago. It’s a very slick design of a quick release on the FE – see pic. Tres cool.

The very cool fire extinguisher from Safecraft on the cool Sharkwerks bracket:

The surprise black box under the driver’s seat:

Both GT3 seats and harnesses installed!:
Old 01-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Default Installed BK Roll Bar Extension

I also installed a Brey-Krause roll bar extension which I bought used from Sbelles (thanks Scott!). This kit installs in about 20-30 minutes. The extension adds about 1.75 inches of additional height for rollover protection. It is required for the BS-X class in Boxster Spec racing and seems like a reasonable little bit of extra ‘insurance.’ There is an excellent write up on the installation at http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster...cts/bkrollbar/.

My car is in the shop this week getting the PSS9 and sway bars installed !!!!! Too bad I won’t be able to properly test the suspension for a few months.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm considering those PSS9's. But coil overs will bump me up a class in most local Autocross clubs which means I'll be at the bottom of the time sheet every week. But really I don't think I'm going to autocross the Boxster much, probably more DE's next season. I think autox'ing is too rough on a Porsche that most mechanics, outside of the dealership, won't touch. I'd probably pick up a Mini Cooper or Miata again.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Default PSS9, Sways + Links, PS2, Aligned and Corner Balanced!

Sorry no pics!

I went to Autobahn Performance in Peabody, MA to have my Bilstein PSS9 and Tarett Front/Rear Sways + Drop Links installed. While the car was in the shop, I decided to pull the old rubber off and replace it with fresh Mich PS2 225/45/17 F and 255/40/17 R.

When the suspension was done, I had them do an aggressive alignment and corner balance the car. I'll need to go to the GT3 front control arms to get any more neg camber there but for now this will suffice.
Front camber -1.4 (was -0.5 L and -1.0 R)
Rear Camber -2.5 (was -2.5)
Front Caster 7.8 (unchanged)
Front Toe -0.06 (was -0.52)
Rear Toe L 0.05, R 0.07 (was L 0.15, R 0.37)

Corner balance data:
Tare weight 2871 lbs
With 210 overweight middle aged man 3081
Original Cross Weights: 54% RF->LR, 46% LF->RR
Finished balance: 50:50

It's been in the 20s-30s here so it is obviously not a time to be testing out the worthiness of the new suspension. I can say that the car looks about an inch lower with the PSS9 set at 5 (i.e. the middle setting between comfort and stiff). I also had the sways set a little soft in the rear and a little hard in front (my God that sounds really funny). The ride home with the car makes me believe the ride is a bit stiffer than stock but not bone jarring at these settings. Just doing little tire-warming type swerves (keeping in mind the PS2s are hockey pucks at these temps), the car feels much tighter and responsive with much less roll than stock. I can't wait for the great thaw as I think this suspension is going to be a blast.

Just out of curiosity (Hmmmmm), I had them do a cylinder leak down test which showed negligible leak (like 2%). There's a slim possibility that I'll mod the motor as time goes by and some people recommend a leak test before doing any forced induction. Hmmmmmmm.

BTW, Autobahn seems like a fantastic shop with nice folks if anyone is looking for some performance help or service in the Boston area.

I'll post some pics the next time I work on the car during daylight and when it is not snowing!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:25 PM
powderhound
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks and sounds like your having fun with your new toy. I wish i could put those seats and suspension on mine but not for a while now. Keep up the good work and let us know how she drives in warmer weather.

Eric
Old 01-11-2009, 04:22 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running that much more camber in the rear then the front & the bar softer back there is going to give you some push(more rear grip under load). Be prepared to stiffen that rear bar once you start getting up to speed.

Also, the shock adjustment points change the valving(compression/rebound). They are coil overs so ride height is established by moving the perches up & down on the threaded shock body. This is also how you corner balance the car.

Sounds like you are on your way. Have fun!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Running that much more camber in the rear then the front & the bar softer back there is going to give you some push(more rear grip under load). Be prepared to stiffen that rear bar once you start getting up to speed.

Also, the shock adjustment points change the valving(compression/rebound). They are coil overs so ride height is established by moving the perches up & down on the threaded shock body. This is also how you corner balance the car.

Sounds like you are on your way. Have fun!
Thanks for the advice and the techbits Jay. I wondered what specifically was being adjusted to corner balance the load. I can't wait for the warm weather!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Thanks for the advice and the techbits Jay. I wondered what specifically was being adjusted to corner balance the load.
No problem. It's not hard to do, but it can be a bit of an art to get it nuts on. Sounds like you got the right guys for the job!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I stopped by my builder a few days ago (conwayautoworks.com). Most of the weight loss has been accomplished at this point. Probably 200+ pounds,...at least!

The GT3 control arms are now at all 4 corners which will allow me to run 17x8.5 with 255 rubber ALL around. This is now acceptable in Spec Boxster racing and should be great in terms of tire wear management by rotating. We're waiting for some stiffer springs to arrive.

The larger S oil cooler has been installed and the 3rd radiator is almost done. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to put in an Accusump.

Car is getting a LWFW, comp clutch, RMS fix and IMS prophylaxis while it's 'in the shop.'

The fiberglass roof (9 pounds) arrived which will allow my builder to start fabricating the cage.

Car will get a Smartycam as well.

I'm more and more excited every day!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool! I like your interior light too.

Last edited by TroyN; 02-13-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Coochas,

Quick question for you: Can you slide your GT3 seats all the way back without interference from the BK roll extension pads?

I have a '99 Boxster with GT3 seats. I also picked up a used BK roll bar extension, but it did not come with the L-shaped pads. I fabricated some pads to cover the nasty part of the extension that's right behind the head, but I think I would rather get the official BK padding. My only concern is whether or not those pads will block me from pushing my GT3 seats all the way back (I'm tall).

Looks like you're having loads of fun with your car!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Coochas,

Quick question for you: Can you slide your GT3 seats all the way back without interference from the BK roll extension pads?

I have a '99 Boxster with GT3 seats. I also picked up a used BK roll bar extension, but it did not come with the L-shaped pads. I fabricated some pads to cover the nasty part of the extension that's right behind the head, but I think I would rather get the official BK padding. My only concern is whether or not those pads will block me from pushing my GT3 seats all the way back (I'm tall).

Looks like you're having loads of fun with your car!
Hi Mark,
I sit with my seat all the way back. The top part of the seat will slightly compress the cushion on the BK pads.
Frankly if I were doing it again, I wouldn't bother with the BK pads but would simply wrap the roll bar instead. Feel free to PM with any issues.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We got Pagid to manufacture Pagid Yellows for the Spec Boxsters -
Seems to be quite a popuilar (and tough) pad. 288 front and 259 rear

Quick Reply: Initial Mods to my 986