Tick tick tick and stutter

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:31 PM
flipper
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick tick tick and stutter

Lately my boxster has developed 2 things,

1. It has a small intermittent ticking noise, sounds like a valve. It does not do it all the time and it is very faint. Is some valve noise to be expected?

2. right after cleaning and oiling my K&N air filter, I noticed a rough spot at about 2400 rpms. I took the K&N out and replaced it with the OEM filter.
Think its the MAF? and is it easy to clean?

Thanks all
Shawn
Old 11-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Some noise is to be expected. Engines vary in how quiet they are.

Originally Posted by flipper
Lately my boxster has developed 2 things,

1. It has a small intermittent ticking noise, sounds like a valve. It does not do it all the time and it is very faint. Is some valve noise to be expected?

2. right after cleaning and oiling my K&N air filter, I noticed a rough spot at about 2400 rpms. I took the K&N out and replaced it with the OEM filter.
Think its the MAF? and is it easy to clean?

Thanks all
Shawn
Might not be valve noise either. Might be fuel injector noise, a cracked coil, loose plug, exhaust leak, or a serpentine belt going bad, to the possible sources that I have time to post.

My advice is to stay away from the K&N. It is not bad just more work to renew (clean/reoil). The stock filter is a very good filter and designed -- foam top layer -- for the Boxster's particularly dirty engine air intake location.

Just change the filter every 15,000 miles or so and don't forget the cabin filter.

After the 1st several oil/filter changes the air filter plays a larger role in engine longevity than the oil filter, unless one insists on following imho that ridiculous 15,000 (or is it 20,000) miles oil service interval.

If you have K&N in place and engine acting funny a MAF cleaning could be called for. NO time to post steps. They exist on the web. Search out mikefocke's site for starters.

May even be a DIY document here in the DIY link or even in the message archives.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Tick tick tick and stutter