Sponsored by:

OEM brake pad shims

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM brake pad shims

Does anyone know if the stock shim pads have to be or should be used. Most pads come with their own shims. This application is an 01 S.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:41 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I do not use them, and they did not have any impact on squealing. Plus, saves something like 12 oz of unsprung weight Some pads, though, may need them to stop noise.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:48 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... I am running Pagid Sport pads on my 01S and I left off the shims. They squeal a ton, and insanely loud. I'm going to see if it decreases at all when the wifey takes it to the track tomorrow, but if not I am going to eventually reinstall them.

When I drive through the nice area of town on my way to work I get lots of eyeballs at stoplights. I'd bet my car makes more noise than most junkers, or even semis do, when it comes to a halt.

The shims I've seen come with pads are flat and do not have the bits that go inside the caliper pistons. I saved mine when I pulled off the OEM pads, as the OEM shims are ridiculously expensive.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I think my old Pagid fronts had shims and the mintex rears did not. The new EBC pads have shims on all pads already. I too kept the expensive stock shims just in case. Will be doing the break in tomorrow.

Quick Reply: OEM brake pad shims