Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certified Preowned paint/finish question ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Certified Preowned paint/finish question ...

I'm a bit more than just bummed here. And, I should know better, but the deal is this ....

I bought a 2005 black Boxster S "Certified Preowned" from a local dealer. When I picked up the car it was raining and the car looked grand. I drove it 10-15 miles on local roads and bought the car. I also added a Simonized paint protection and a clear bra to the deal.

A few days later, when I cleaned the car after the 60 mile ride home in the rain, I found that the paint was not "nice enough" to add the Simonized protection or the clear bra. Indeed ... the front of the car was pretty much sand blasted and looked like it would require a respray of the bumper area and about 1/2 of the hood and fenders. Did I mention the car was BLACK !?

So, I called the dealership and canceled the Simonize crap and bra saying it made no sense to do so with the way the front end looked when I cleaned the car. I figured $800 to do this .... but that was not the case.

I had 5 estimates for the respray and was pretty amazed at the cost. The least expensive estimate was $2500 and it moved up to over $3500. Much more than I tho't.

I wonder if there is some recourse with the dealership regarding this respray? I mean ... the car is only 3 years old, 22K on the clock and it looks like some one drove behind a truck spreading sand for months. I have a '96 C4S that looks pristine .... couple tiny chips, but not sand blasting at all and it's a New England car. The Boxster is from VA. And, is "Certified Preowned", too.

Can someone let me know their opinions, suggestions or whatever regarding any recourse I may have with the dealer .... BTW, the owner spoke with me on the phone the day before I bought the car ... I asked him to go out and look at the car and tell me about the paint/finish. He said, "It only has a couple tiny stone chips .... the rest is perfect". Whatever ....

Thanx in advance.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to say, but it sounds to me like you're out of luck. You need to take a good look at a car before buying if the surface condition is important. There are plenty of them with road rash like that. Cars that drive frequently and intrepidly on heavily trafficked interstates will be getting road rash. There are just too many trucks and whatnot without flaps that kick up sand and gravel in addition to the crap that comes flying off trucks.

You can try to appeal to the dealer but I doubt you will get far if you already paid for the car.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three rules I have learned the hard way in my 57 years. One, never buy anything the first time you see it. Second, cars always look beautiful when wet or in the rain. Kinda like women. Third, never ever buy a car you cannot inspect in the bright sun light. Bright sun light is not early morning or late afternoon. I feel your pain and know you will never make that mistake again. If you have a great dealer they might let you exchange it for a similar value vehicle. What are the chances of finding a great anything these days. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I figured that I'm pretty much screwed here. And .... it is my own fault. I have purchased several cars that I have not inspected Online from dealers, and individuals. Mostly, they were as advertised, but certainly not better than advertised. This car's front finish is pretty flecked/sandblasted. Car's from VA.

I failed to inspect the car properly and it is what it is. Of course, from 20 feet, it looks 'perfect'.

As an exercise, perhaps I'll contact the dealer and see if they might cut me a deal on a respray. It never hurts to ask, eh.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:44 AM
AngM018
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usually the dealer will work with you. This happens more than you think. I have seen many cars that have had paint work, and it washes right off.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
newton982
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes you feel any better, I've made the same error. I chalked it up as one of life's lessons.

Quick Reply: Certified Preowned paint/finish question ...