Reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Dr Buz
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lights

Dear Rennlist Members,

Could anyone please throw any light on this problem?
In about thirty years of motoring, I have never had this happen. The reverse lights (both of 'em) on my Boxster S (year 2000, 3.2, RHD) have failed. I have taken both bulbs out and checked them. They are ok. I have checked the fuse and it's also ok. So I am thinking the following:

1. broken or corroded wire somewhere but where? I have the wiring diagram but it looks quite complicated.
2. faulty microswitch when selecting reverse. However, does anybody know where this is located on a Boxster cause I have looked all over for it. I am thinking that it is located somewhere near the housing for the gear lever but that would apparently mean removing a lot of the centre console to get at it. I have removed some but don't want to remove too much, yet, because it looks like quite a big job, but have not found any microswitch. Does anybody know if the switch is located on the gearbox itself? If so, where? Cause I have had a look and nothing stands out as being an obvious suspect.
3. any other suggestions?

I am at a loss with this one cause it has flummoxed me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Buz
Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 AM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch is on the transmission.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Dr Buz
5th Gear

Thanks. Will have a look when I get time
Old 08-17-2008, 07:22 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep the switch in on the rear of the transmission. There are pictures of it floating around here somewhere.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Dr Buz
5th Gear

Thanks for your help on this. I have found the switch but have yet to do anything about it. Work has been very busy and taken up a lot of time.

Does anybody know whether non-working reverse lights would be an MOT failure? Or would the garage issue an advisory note?
Still... will get the switch changed eventually.

Quick Reply: Reverse lights