Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first Boxster! (can't open passenger door)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just bought my first Boxster! (can't open passenger door)

If anyone read my post a couple days ago I was entertaining a couple options for my first Boxster. Well, I pulled the trigger and ended up with an all original 99 with 52K in excellent condition...plus a factory fitted hardtop. (will post pictures as soon as its clean....its pretty filthy right now)

I drove the car 5 hours home and it ran beautifully....there is one annoying quirk though. I can't open the passenger door from the outside. It opens from the inside though. Also, when I pull the passenger handle, the window still goes down a bit, and then goes back up, so the entire handle couldn't be bad? Is there a locking mechanism that goes bad? Why would I be able to open it from the inside then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im heading outside to begin the detailing process. Can't wait to get to know my new car a little better.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
R2R
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No clue on the door handle situation. Maybe someone out there has the answer. Any how, welcome aboard and congratulations, you are going to love the car. I know I love mine more everyday! Looking forward to pictures.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:15 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

as different as the cars may be, im going to assume porsche stayed with a similar linkage like in the 944's (and i believe 911's). the linkage is independant from the inside handle and the outside handle, my first thing i'de do is take the door panel off and poke around with a flashlight while pulling the handle and see whats moving
Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies, the car is cleaning up very nicely! Out of ignorance, is there any special way of taking the door panels off? If I can get them off, I have time tomorrow to poke around with it. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:39 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

I found good removal instructions here....http://www.ecoutez.net/boxster/door-panel-removal/

If you guys have any more thoughts, let me know.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:00 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its a mechanical linkage where 2 rods got to the latch. I will look on the 97 tomorrow and make sure. The rod for the outside handle may have poped off?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 PM
badger15
Rennlist Member

Let me know if you have time to check amon...Does the linkage look like something that could break, or just come loose? Thanks a lot!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

badger did you ever figure it out?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:59 AM
badger15
Rennlist Member

I wanted to update this thread by saying that I finally took the door panel off and found that the outside handle linkage had just come loose. I tightened it back up and zip tied it to be sure....door opens great now : ) As always, thanks to those that helped!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:20 AM
lilredpo
Pro

Another one for the 1,001 uses of zip ties and duct tape!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:24 PM
R2R
Racer

Originally Posted by badger15
I wanted to update this thread by saying that I finally took the door panel off and found that the outside handle linkage had just come loose. I tightened it back up and zip tied it to be sure....door opens great now : ) As always, thanks to those that helped!
Way to be a self starter! Drive it like you stole it, just don't get pulled over.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badger15
If anyone read my post a couple days ago I was entertaining a couple options for my first Boxster. Well, I pulled the trigger and ended up with an all original 99 with 52K in excellent condition...plus a factory fitted hardtop. (will post pictures as soon as its clean....its pretty filthy right now)

I drove the car 5 hours home and it ran beautifully....there is one annoying quirk though. I can't open the passenger door from the outside. It opens from the inside though. Also, when I pull the passenger handle, the window still goes down a bit, and then goes back up, so the entire handle couldn't be bad? Is there a locking mechanism that goes bad? Why would I be able to open it from the inside then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im heading outside to begin the detailing process. Can't wait to get to know my new car a little better.
Congrats on your purchase. Sorry about your door troubles. I am in the market for a '99 and am curious as to what you paid for yours. Please PM me if you're uncomfortable posting here. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Boxster! (can't open passenger door)