Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket exhaust users - I need opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust users - I need opinions...

I know, I know, this has been danced around 100 times, but in the interest of getting someopinions from guys who have had their exhaust on for more than a month or two......

I havean '03 986 with EVO, headers, and an exhaust I bought from ImagineAuto that is supposed to be a Fabspeed, but it looks just like this one:

http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductC...idproduct=1781

Anyway...it resonates quite a bit, and it's getting louder. It sounds sweet as hell, but I've had it with the resonance.

What do you guys out there have on your cars that does improve the stock sound, and is a bit louder than stoc,k but has NO RESONANCE ? I'd prefer to hear from guys who have something that can still be bought, and it has been on for a season or more...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
mdex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through several different exhausts, and in the end the only one that didn't drone on the highway was a hollowed out stock exhaust. It sounds great without any rattle or resonance issues. The problem is you need to find someone who is able to open up your stock exhaust and do the work to it.

Marc
Old 04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc,

which ones did you try? Any soundclips of your hollowed out exhaust?

btw.... nice shot at Calabogie. I really enjoyed that track
Old 04-02-2008, 02:40 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you don't want a drone, i can definitely tell you NOT to get a Stebro race muffler.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

or a SuperSprint, pretty cans but the headaches were unbearable
Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
mdex
Racer

Mike,

Good eye on the track that was taken at! I really enjoyed my first day there last year... looking forward to going back this summer.

I have tried the Fabspeed (the old style single muffler) and the Tubi exhausts... I don't have any clips of the current exhaust, but it is more of a low growl then a high pitch scream, not quiet, but I don't find it fatiguing to listen to on the highway... I just passed for noise at Calabogie.

Marc
Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Originally Posted by First986NJ
What do you guys out there have on your cars that does improve the stock sound, and is a bit louder than stoc,k but has NO RESONANCE ? I'd prefer to hear from guys who have something that can still be bought, and it has been on for a season or more...
Remove stock muffler.
Get out your dremel with a cutoff mandrel and stack two thick fiber cutoff wheels (the reinforced ones) on the mandrel.
Insert as far into each of the muffler inlets as you can.
Cut a slot through the inlet pipe about 180 degrees around.
Insert a large pry-bar through the inlet pipe and use a mini-sledge to open up that slot (takes quite a bit of force) until it's roughly a 1" by 1" square-ish opening.

Reinstall muffler, enjoy your new louder exhaust and no droning.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:21 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdex
Mike,

Good eye on the track that was taken at! I really enjoyed my first day there last year... looking forward to going back this summer.

I have tried the Fabspeed (the old style single muffler) and the Tubi exhausts... I don't have any clips of the current exhaust, but it is more of a low growl then a high pitch scream, not quiet, but I don't find it fatiguing to listen to on the highway... I just passed for noise at Calabogie.

Marc
Mine is a shot from there as well....right near the Kink at the end of the front straight. I have been there twice, and I really enjoyed it. The only that freaks me out is the wall near Jacques (T2)..... I always hope that I gather up the car well enough after balancing with the throttle out of the Kink.

When I did the sound test there, they said "you barely even register!" I think a bit more exhaust noise would add to the top down experience. Time to de-snorkel too..... kind of like sticking hockey/baseball cards in the spokes of my bike when I was 5 years old.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnVitamvas
Remove stock muffler.
Get out your dremel with a cutoff mandrel and stack two thick fiber cutoff wheels (the reinforced ones) on the mandrel.
Insert a large pry-bar through the inlet pipe and use a mini-sledge to open up that slot (takes quite a bit of force) until it's roughly a 1" by 1" square-ish opening.

John, I take it you have this on currently ? Since I'm familiar with the construction of the stock muffler, this makes sense. Must sound pretty much the same as the PPBB mod that uses the 1" bypass pipes to the outlet. Would you know if that's true? ....or happen to have a sound clip ?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Remove stock muffler.

Originally Posted by mdex
I went through several different exhausts, and in the end the only one that didn't drone on the highway was a hollowed out stock exhaust. It sounds great without any rattle or resonance issues. The problem is you need to find someone who is able to open up your stock exhaust and do the work to it.

Marc
Marc,

Do you know exactly which internal elements they eliminated? ...or did they gut everything....
Old 04-03-2008, 01:38 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Originally Posted by First986NJ
John, I take it you have this on currently ? Since I'm familiar with the construction of the stock muffler, this makes sense. Must sound pretty much the same as the PPBB mod that uses the 1" bypass pipes to the outlet. Would you know if that's true? ....or happen to have a sound clip ?
This is the closest to how it sounds. Second video down on this page.

http://teamwtf.org/content/view/325/63

It's got a nice slightly burbly idle and more sound across the board. Nice and throaty cruising around town but no resonance at all.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM
First986NJ
Racer

This is the closest to how it sounds. Second video down on this page.

http://teamwtf.org/content/view/325/63

It's got a nice slightly burbly idle and more sound across the board. Nice and throaty cruising around town but no resonance at all.

Yea, that's a nice tone John. Thanks for the clip. Is that with stock exhaust manifold, or with headers?

My stock exhaust is just sitting up on the shelf collecting dust anyway, might as well fire up the dremmel this weekend. I feel some cutting, banging, and a new muffler tip from Suncoast coming on.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:10 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Stock manifolds with stock cats.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:09 AM
jmatta
AutoX

I know this has been shown before; this was my solution (plus secondary cat bypass pipes). Very easy to modify the stock muffler and the sound is much improved, with no resonance.
Attached Images    
Old 04-11-2008, 05:32 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

I have a B&B muffler. This will be 3 years this June. I love it, it has very little resonance and is a definate improvement. Sounds great!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust users - I need opinions...