Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cary/Apex, NC Coffee and Bagels

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some great photos from the drive that Michael took. We'll definitely do it again soon!

Bob

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=429439&page=8
Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

It's Tuesday, and I'm glazing and waxing my 996 - I'm excited to see how it turns out. Mmmmm....shiny...

On another note, my wife told me that the ol' Bean & Bagel is not open - don't know whether it's for remodeling or if it's permanently closed! I leave town for a couple weekends, and look what happens!

I'm now scoping out another Cary/Apex location for our Saturday morning get-together. The primary criteria are:

- Cary or Apex address
- Big, no-ding parking lot
- Great coffee
- Breakfast reasonably priced

Is that so much to ask???

More to come.

Bob
Old 08-14-2008, 02:34 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

I may have a replacement location for our Saturday morning gathering:

Manhattan Bagels at 970 High House Rd, Cary NC 27513

It's at the intersection of High House and Cary Pkwy.

I still need to find out what time they open on Saturdays. But, the parking lot and location seemed to be well-suited to our get-together.

Let me know what you think.

Bob
Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

I scoped out both locations and I decided on Bruegger's Bagels in Apex. Here's the reasons why:

- They're right near the original Bean & Bagel location (just on the other side of hwy 55, next door to Harris Teeter)
- There's ample parking
- We are just as close to the country roads and twisties as we were at the B&B.
- They open at 6am, so I can actually get less sleep on a Saturday morning if I so choose (I must be out of my mind)

A couple of negatives:

- We can't see our cars as easily from the windows of the Brueggers; not intolerable.
- They don't have espresso based coffees - I know that sounds ridiculous, but I love a latte
- It's quite a bit smaller than the B&B. But, there are never more than 7-8 of us, so that shouldn't be a problem unless their Saturday morning business before 10am is huge (I doubt it).

Here's the address:
760 W. Williams St. in Apex

You'll see the Wendy's and the Harris Teeter from W. Williams. Drive past Cinelli's and Bruegger's is in the corner. You'll probably see a very nicely polished black 996 with an aero kit.

See you in the morning. I'll be there as early as 7:30am. If anyone is up for a drive afterward, I'm more than ready for one!

Bob
Old 08-16-2008, 02:10 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Our first experience with the Apex Bruegger's was only mediocre. While the location wasn't bad, there were some drawbacks...
- The Bruegger's manager/owner wanted to know how long we would be there (even though the restaurant was almost entirely carry-out business and very few in-store customers)
- There were at least 3 Harris Teeter 18-wheelers cruising through that part of the parking lot at that hour of the morning.
- The coffee was only so-so; disappointing considering Green Mountain makes some incredible coffees. It just wasn't fresh.

But, we had a great drive after we left Bruegger's. Michael led Charles, Manil, John, Alex and me through the Apex countryside to our favorite scenic routes. It was a great day to be out driving a Porsche.

Here's a link to the photos.

NEXT WEEK: We'll be at the Panera in Cary - Cary Pkwy in the same mall with Stonewood and Ginza restaurants.

Bob

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...localeid=en_US
Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

REMINDER - We'll be at the Panera in Cary - Cary Pkwy in the same mall with Stonewood and Ginza restaurants. See you on Saturday in Cary!

Bob
Old 08-22-2008, 09:27 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Here's the address for tomorrow morning:

Preston Walk (directions)
1065 Darrington Drive
Cary, NC 27513
(919) 469-6696 | phone
(919) 469-6697 | fax

See you there - we'll be there from 7:30 to 10:00 am

Bob
Old 08-28-2008, 02:53 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

This Saturday, I propose that we meet at the place Ken suggested:

"Wake Zone" coffee shop:
6108 Old Jenks Road
Apex, NC 27523
Corner of Davis Drive & Old Jenks Rd

I've spoken to the proprietor who said he would like to have us there.

I'll get there bright and early at 7:30 - show up whenever you can.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Bob
Old 09-06-2008, 03:24 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Sorry I was unable to make it to Wake Zone this morning. I'm guessing no one showed up in light of the storm. Anyone around tomorrow morning for a quick cup of coffee and a drive? I know it's Sunday, so I don't expect much of a response, but I'm ready for the Porsche time.

Bob
Old 09-10-2008, 12:50 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Default Last Sunday and Next Saturday

On Sunday, Michael ('88 911 Carrera) and Jeff ('01 996) joined me at the Wake Zone for breakfast. We had some great conversation, followed by a great cruise through the countryside - our usual routine. It just never gets old.

Jeff showed me the meaning of the words "clean car". We had a great discussion about Zainos and Rejex. His car is beautiful! Concours quality.

It's only Tuesday, and I'm ready for the weekend. I had the opportunity to drive the 996 to a Ronald McDonald House of Winston-Salem meeting yesterday. The car was awesome as usual. It's not often I get over 3 continuous hours behind the wheel.

Next Saturday, I hear the Italians are going to be in Brier Creek. Is anyone planning on going? If there are a few of us, I propose that we meet at Wake Zone and caravan over to Brier Creek.

Bob
Attached Images     
Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Default Wake Zone Photos and Next Weekend Plans

Here are a couple that I took prior to our arrival at Brier Creek.

I won't be around this weekend - we have a wedding in MD. See you guys in a couple weeks.

See you soon!
Bob
Attached Images      
Old 09-16-2008, 10:47 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

I made a mistake. The wedding we're attending in MD isn't happening this weekend. It's next weekend (9/27). So, I'll be at the Wake Zone this Saturday morning.

Bob
Old 09-20-2008, 11:01 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

It was great to see everyone this morning. We had a great gathering - including a new Porsche owner: George and his daughter Katie ('01 996 Cab). We also had Ken, Bruce, Martin, Dell, Rich, Michael, Alex, Charles, John and yours truly. After some great coffee, and a great conversation at the Wake Zone, we headed off to drive around Jordan Lake. The weather couldn't have been better and the drive was outstanding - 8 Porsches. Thanks for a great morning everyone. The link to my photos of the morning's activities is below.

I hate to miss even one Saturday with such a great group of people. But, I hope you all will get together and post photos. I'll be back the following Saturday.

For future planning:
- Michael mentioned that next weekend is Octoberfest - some of the group may want to check it out
- Dell proposed driving to VIR one of these mornings
- I'd like to have the group over to my house for a lunch or dinner cookout
- George suggested a drive out to Pittsboro's country roads - I've seen them; they're beautiful
- We talked about a tech session with Jeff Schiff to clear out our front bumpers and oil coolers
- I'm serious about November DE at VIR with Dell. Who else is interested?

OK - that should give us plenty to talk about when I return.

Enjoy!
Bob

Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

For those not going to the autocross, I'll be at the Wake Zone tomorrow morning for about 1-1/2 hours tomorrow morning (7:30 - 9:00 or so).

Also, I just ordered a helmet for DE - I followed Randy's lead and ordered a Pyrotech helmet from Apex Performance.

Bob
Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

It was great to see everyone on Saturday. I was surprised, since I knew there were a few people headed to the autocross (which I hope was a blast). Here's the list of attendees at the Wake Zone:

Rich ('88 911 Targa)
Dell (Wife's Mercedes E-Class)
Charles (996)
George (996 Cab w/hard top)
Helmut (Cayman S)
Michael ('88 911 Coupe)
Me (996 Mk 1 Aero)

Thanks to everyone for all the info re DEs and what to expect - I'm excited for the DE event in November.

Here's the link to a few photos from the morning:

See you all next Saturday.

Bob

Quick Reply: Cary/Apex, NC Coffee and Bagels