Sponsored by:

Accelerator sticking ever so slightly

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
phild328
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Accelerator sticking ever so slightly

I just got a 2000 Boxster S with about 90K on it. I have a number of questions, but I want to start by asking about the accelerator pedal. It sticks ever so slightly. Are they this way new? It feels like two pieces of plastic rubbing together. It will have a tiny bit of resistence until it starts to move (which then the friction is reduced). But it is annoying. The pedal is touchy to begin with and then this slight grabbing makes it even worse.
Has anyone else noticed this and did anyone find a (um,cheap) solution? I haven't looked into it yet, I just wanted to ask first. It feels like it would be at the pedel bearing surface. I know replacing everything could fix it, but maybe someone else had the problem and just used grease or oil at a certain spot.

Other questions/problems I have are that the front suspension squeaks going over bumps slowly (like speed bumps). Is there a cheap easy fix to this? (again like a grease or oil type solution)
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Arena996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could possibly be carbon build up in the trottle bore hanging up on the throttle plate slightly until you just start to come off idle. Remove the intake tubing and clean the throttle housing with some carb cleaner. It is a good idea since you have 90K anyways. It may also improve the idle quality too.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default 2000 S Boxster (and 2000 base Boxster) have eGas, drive by wire ....

Originally Posted by phild328
I just got a 2000 Boxster S with about 90K on it. I have a number of questions, but I want to start by asking about the accelerator pedal. It sticks ever so slightly. Are they this way new? It feels like two pieces of plastic rubbing together. It will have a tiny bit of resistence until it starts to move (which then the friction is reduced). But it is annoying. The pedal is touchy to begin with and then this slight grabbing makes it even worse.
Has anyone else noticed this and did anyone find a (um,cheap) solution? I haven't looked into it yet, I just wanted to ask first. It feels like it would be at the pedel bearing surface. I know replacing everything could fix it, but maybe someone else had the problem and just used grease or oil at a certain spot.

Other questions/problems I have are that the front suspension squeaks going over bumps slowly (like speed bumps). Is there a cheap easy fix to this? (again like a grease or oil type solution)
Thanks in advance.
throttle. My experience with an '02 base (with almost 180,000 miles of driving) is the throttle's pedal action is pretty smooth, even, and not touchy at all.

(Well, let me qualify that a bit. At idle with tranny in neutral, if I say want to increase engine RPMs to 1000 or 1500 the throttle does take some extra soft foot action. If I press on the throttle like I normally do to increase RPMs for pulling away from a stop, engine RPMs shoot up to close to 2000 RPMs. It takes a conscious effort to be delicate enough with my foot to keep RPMs from jumping from idle to something higher that I want. But I seldom attempt this, so my foot is not calibrated to control engine RPMs with engine idling out of gear, but to control engine RPMs with engine idling and in gear with concurrent with me giving the engine some throttle and RPMs picking up letting out the clutch pedal to move car away from stop, all the while engine RPMs staying just above 1000 RPMs to avoid unnecessary wear/tear on clutch.)

Perhaps you need to give the pedal a real close visual inspection to make sure its clean down there -- no gum wrappers, piece of paper, carpet wrinkle, etc. -- between pedal and its base?

Also, be sure no sticky drink got spilled on the thing something that would physically interfere with the action of the pedal moving through its full range of movement?

With engine off maybe with your hand depress the pedal and push it all the way down then let it up slowly and ensure it comes up fully extended again?

The throttle butterfly valve is opened/closed by signal from eGas pedal electronics. There is an electric motor on the side of the throttle body that works the butterfly shaft. I've only had my engine's throttle body off the intake once and then for an attempt to diagnose symptoms that proved to be an AOS failing but that time there was -- from the AOS -- some oil on the butterfly valve. It did not affect the feeling of the pedal's action, but of course did affect the engine's idling.

If you find nothing at the throttle pedal and an examination of the butterfly valve at the throttle body turns up nothing, if the action truely rough, uneven, jerky, etc., perhaps the eGas mechanism worn out, mechanically. If electronics going bad a check engine light is very likely.

If engine equipped with older mechanical throttle then the process becomes tracing the route of the throttle cable from the pedal through the firewall back to engine and throttle body. I've never looked at one, but working on older other cars with a direct gas pedal to throttle butterfly connection there are many places where something could be pressed against the cable and cable housing, the cable got pinched, damaged, or a return spring loose, broken, or missing that would and did cause the throttle pedal's action to be less than ideal.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Accelerator sticking ever so slightly