Sponsored by:

Can anyone answer a GT3 seat question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can anyone answer a GT3 seat question?

Is the back of a GT3 seat any taller than the back of a standard 986 seat?

I'm 6'4", and the back of my head sticks over the top of the standard seat in my '99. Comfort is not a problem. Yes, I would like to stretch out more, but I'm fine. However, a recent accident has made more urgent a little fear of mine. I was in a fairly low speed (about 25 MPH) frontal collision with a car attempting a left turn in front of me. My seat belt was on, my air bags went off, and I'm fine. However, I consider myself very lucky that nobody was behind me. If I'm ever hit from behind with any force, I'm sure that the back of my skull will hit the "padding" that covers the front of the roll bar. I imagine that would result in a concussion and/or fractured skull.

So, would a GT3 seat protect the back of my head??? Safety for my noggin might be a good excuse to upgrade!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, I think the short answer to your question is "yes."

I am 6'2", and switched to GT3 seats in my Boxster about a year ago.

You will gain headroom (sitting lower in the car). And there's no longer any risk of bashing one's skull against the rollbar. I always thought that was a very dangerous design "feature" of the 986.

GT3 seats are more difficult with regard to ingress/egress. But that sacrifice is worthwhile for me, especially considering the safety implications.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sean,

That's pretty much hitting my question right on the head. I've gotten some feedback from other forums, and I think I will suck up the $$$ and go with a pair of GT3 seats. My car is still being repaired (the shop is having trouble getting some part for the air bag repair). Once the car is back in my hands and all is well, I think I'll put in my order for the seats.

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited by Mark Hubley; 12-06-2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: I was redundant with my first post.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I just got back from the garage... When sitting in the GT3 seat, my head still sticks up SLIGHTLY above the top of the seat. However, due to the design of the seat (the "cobra" style top portion), it's impossible for my head to contact the rollbar. This was not true with the stock seats.

Since you are taller than me, you might want to try 'em out somewhere first. I know that's easier said than done.

Note that if you remove the seat cushion, it gives you another inch or so of headroom (and doesnt affect comfort very much). I haven't done so because it's not really necessary for me. I gained a couple of inches headroom with the GT3 seats, which I found just about perfect.

The safety issues are a good excuse to upgrade. I know of a guy who wrecked his RUF-modded Boxster doing about 150MPH. His car was pretty much obliterated except for the passenger cabin. He had GT3 seats, and he credits them with helping to save his life.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
mytoy986
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'1 and my head does JUST BEARLY reach above the GT3 seat back. other then that, they really are a great addition once you get past getting in and out with the top up.

by the way I do have a couple of brand new sets here if you want new!

Quick Reply: Can anyone answer a GT3 seat question?