Sponsored by:

Possessed? Heavy rain and lightnig

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:00 AM
PatrickP
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possessed? Heavy rain and lightnig

My friend had her Boxster parked yesterday during a thunder and lightning storm. Really heavy rain to the point where the lot flooded and the water got about 1/2 way to the midlle of her front wheels. Parked on a slope with those wheels down so the water was not high enough to get into the engine compartment. HOWEVER ...

First, the brake and back-up lights came on. Then, the horn, follwed by the spoiler going up and down and the convertable top trying to go down.

Possible short because of the water? Lighting strike messing with electrical system? Thanks!

Patrick
Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If water has gotten inside the cabin, either through a blocked drain or door threshold it may have reached the electronic control module located under the drivers seat. This may cause the type of problems her car was experiencing. Check to see if the carpet is wet under the drivers seat. If this is the problem there are some steps she can take to try to dry out the module. I have never had to do this but it seems to be a relatively common occurance. If no one here has any tips you can try to use the search function and look for "blocked drain" , "wet carpet", or "wet control module", or "computer brain". Good luck.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:55 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

blocked drains then the rear control unit under the seat got wet
guessing its a 987 boxster
Old 11-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
blocked drains then the rear control unit under the seat got wet
+1 This would be my guess.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default UK Boxster owners report some times in heavy rain water will get ...

Originally Posted by PatrickP
My friend had her Boxster parked yesterday during a thunder and lightning storm. Really heavy rain to the point where the lot flooded and the water got about 1/2 way to the midlle of her front wheels. Parked on a slope with those wheels down so the water was not high enough to get into the engine compartment. HOWEVER ...

First, the brake and back-up lights came on. Then, the horn, follwed by the spoiler going up and down and the convertable top trying to go down.

Possible short because of the water? Lighting strike messing with electrical system? Thanks!

Patrick
past window door seals and get into door. If water gets deep enough in door -- no drains is the word I get -- this water can of course make contact with in-door electrics and odd/nearly impossible to diagnose electrical gremlins result. Give doors a shake and if one hears water sloshing...

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Possessed? Heavy rain and lightnig