Sponsored by:

2002 Boxster Non-S Price

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:30 PM
reactor2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Boxster Non-S Price

I'm looking around for a Boxster to use as a daily driver in the Midwest. One I am interested in is a 2002 Non-S 5 speed with about 41K miles. The dealer is asking $25K for it. Obviously this sounds a bit high to me. Since I am new to the Boxster market, I was wondering what you guys think I should expect to pay for it. It doesn't appear to have any special options that would drive the price up.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is high, but the prices definitely fluctuate regionally. I'm looking at 01 and 02 S models with similar mileage for the same price here on the west coast.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Sputter
Pro

Originally Posted by reactor2
I'm looking around for a Boxster to use as a daily driver in the Midwest. One I am interested in is a 2002 Non-S 5 speed with about 41K miles. The dealer is asking $25K for it. Obviously this sounds a bit high to me. Since I am new to the Boxster market, I was wondering what you guys think I should expect to pay for it. It doesn't appear to have any special options that would drive the price up.

Thanks for any advice.
What schwank said, look around, you could get an S with less miles for about the same money or a bit more.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:14 AM
efahl
AutoX

I was looking for a 2001-2 S for about 4 months before I got my car and my benchmark was <$30k/<30k miles. There are lots of them around, with occasional 20k mile specimens available for around $25k in excellent condition. Be patient in your search because there are a lot of these cars around. Pick a color combination that you like and keep looking on cars.com, autotrader, craigslist and forums until you find exactly what you want.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:50 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Check this one out. I bought a car from this dealer, good group to work with.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:16 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think there is enough of a price difference nation wide between an S and a 2.7 to justify passing up the S. You'll also get more when you sell it. People often say "I don't need the additional power". Using that logic do you really need a sports car as a daily driver?? Kinda like saying I don't need an AK-47 for deer hunting, I'll just take this Uzi.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:32 PM
dm_n_stuff
Intermediate

I just bought a 2001 Boxster S with 50K miles on it, PSM, partial leather, and a bunch of other goodies for $21,500 from a local dealer. He had it PA State inspected and put new Kuhmos on it for that price, so there are good "S" cars out there for way less than the $25 you're looking at for a non-S car.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 PM
911sport
Advanced

Buy a Porsche-certified car if you buy from a Porsche dealer. Comes with a 2 year new car warranty.
You'll pay more for a dealer car, but they are often one owner new car trades originally sold new by the dealer. That's the kind of car you want.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I don't think there is enough of a price difference nation wide between an S and a 2.7 to justify passing up the S. You'll also get more when you sell it. People often say "I don't need the additional power". Using that logic do you really need a sports car as a daily driver?? Kinda like saying I don't need an AK-47 for deer hunting, I'll just take this Uzi.
I understand what you are saying, but Porsche is one of the few manufacturers that can build a sports car that you can take on an extended trip and not get out with a stiff back. So with Porsche, the terms sports car and commuter aren't incompatible.

About six months ago I bought an '07 Boxster and when I went to the Dealer it was my intention to buy an S. After test driving both cars, I couldn't justify the $10K premium for the S. Moreover, the Boxster with its 17" wheels provides a really commfotable ride and yet provides extraordinary handling and braking. Since I don't have the time to track my cars any longer and since I rarely have the opportunity to push my car hard, even though I live and work in the country, the extra 50 HP in the S wasn't going to mean muich to me.

The Boxster S is a super car for the right person, but it's not automatically the right car for everyone.

Quick Reply: 2002 Boxster Non-S Price