Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing gear oil, How do you refill with “squirt” bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:23 AM
pk2
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing gear oil, How do you refill with “squirt” bottle?

Question: My manual shows the fill plug right on a plate on the side of trans. really close to the cv joint. It seems it would be impossible to get the whole bottle up there to squeeze in the oil. If I’m right, how do you get the oil in, put a hose on it and hang somewhere above filler hole like an I.V.? I seem to recall using some sort of hand soap type pump with a hose the last time I did this.

Also, manual states that the oil should be 11mm below the bottom of the fill hole. Dose it really matter?

Ideas?

THanks, PK

P.S. Background: I’ve got a tired 5 speed. Someone here or there swore that switching out the gear oil with Penzoil Synchromesh can gives your transe a new lease on life. Believe me, I’m a natural corn skeptic, but if it makes my fading transe. a little more pleasurable in it’s twilight months, $18 is a gamble I can take.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:37 PM
drfous
Rennlist Member

Received 2,026 Likes on 1,193 Posts

They sell a little pump with a plastic hose so you don't have to get the bottle up there. Every auto parts store will have it next to the gear oil section.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:40 PM
pk2
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by drfous
They sell a little pump with a plastic hose so you don't have to get the bottle up there. Every auto parts store will have it next to the gear oil section.
Thanks, All I need to know. Figured there'd be somthing like that.

What do you make of the filling up to 11mm below the bottom of the fill hole?

Thannks alot

PK
Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 PM
drfous
Rennlist Member

Received 2,026 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Someone else will need to chime in on the 11MM issue. Typically you fill to the bottom of the fill hole, but P-Cars aren't typical in many ways.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 PM
pk2
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by drfous
Someone else will need to chime in on the 11MM issue. Typically you fill to the bottom of the fill hole, but P-Cars aren't typical in many ways.
Ya, I've always done it that way, sloppy but effective. The only explanation I can think of is, if you were to add grease/oil right after you drove it; there might be 11mm worth of oil slopped around still sticking to the gears and the like.

Thanks

PK

Quick Reply: Changing gear oil, How do you refill with “squirt” bottle?