Sponsored by:

time for the conversion!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:06 AM
legend motorsports
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time for the conversion!!!!!!

I was fortunate enough to come across an 03 3.2 that suffered the dreaded intermediate shaft failure. Aside from the shaft and the chain, not much else was beyond repair. Now, granted, without connections, it makes WAY more sense to put in a Porsche rebuilt motor, but for me, it isn't such a bad job. Parts and all will run about $1500. (this includes bearings and rings.) I also realize I'll need a new brain. I'm working on that as we speak. I'm wondering though, if my exhaust is compatible (I'm in a 98 2.5) Also, will the tranny hold up, or should I seek out a 6 speed that needs work! any ideas? I hope to cronical this job with pics.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:50 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The transmission is fine, lots of us have 3.4's with the 5spd. I think you have an e-gas issue to work through, the 3.2 will have it and your car doesn't. I'm not sure, does the 3.2 have the secondary intake runner? If so you need to plumb for the crossover actuator and get your ECU programmed so pin59 controls it.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Well you don't need a trans but if you are going to try and integrate the 7.2 DME you will need to do some wiring and replacement of components. To a greater extent this is what I had to do to integrate the 7.8 DME into my car (1999) to run the 3.6. Now what I helped a guy in the UK with was to use the early 5.2.2 DME you already have and load it with the non-gas 3.4 program to run the 3.2. It worked well for him and is what I would suggest you do.
Good luck,
Todd

To
Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 PM
legend motorsports
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm I'll have to think this through. I might just have a fresh rebuilt 3.2 for sale if I can't figure things out!!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the only real difference between the e-gas and non-egas is the intake. I can't guarantee that it will work but...if you can fine an intake setup (throttle body, runners, and intake manifolds) from a 1999 3.4 (the only non -egas 996) I bet it would bolt right on and work. Anybody else?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

That is basically what I said, just convert it to use a cable throttle body (you just need the front cross plenum and TB not the whole intake) and use the 996 DME program. As I stated, I helped a guy in the UK do this exact thing and it worked just fine for him. Another benefit of not using the entire 996 intake is that the dual plenum boxster S setup will fit in the engine bay without lowering the motor in the chassis unlike the 996 intake.

Todd

Quick Reply: time for the conversion!!!!!!