Sponsored by:

Boxster rear window question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 AM
tortoise944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster rear window question

So, after looking for a while, I ended up picking up a nice 98 one owner boxster. The only issue on the whole car (had just had RMS replaced, clutch, tires, breaks, etc) was the plastic window that is sewn on to the top has about 4 stitches popped, so there is a small (less then 1/4") spot where water or anything can squeese under the rubber seal and get into the car.

Is there a kit or easy way to replace or restitch those few popped stiches? Other then that, the top is perfect, no scuffs, back window has no creases or marks at all.

Thanks again!
Brian

84' 944
98' Boxster
Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 PM
legend motorsports
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe there is any way to repair the seam.. I've seen a few of these. There are however a fair number of aftermarket tops available with both plastic and glass windowns, at less then half the price of a factory top. we've installed both, and if done right, they are excellent!! I've had a grey one on my artic silver 98 for 2 years now, and love it!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default If top material still good old window can be removed and new window....

Originally Posted by tortoise944
So, after looking for a while, I ended up picking up a nice 98 one owner boxster. The only issue on the whole car (had just had RMS replaced, clutch, tires, breaks, etc) was the plastic window that is sewn on to the top has about 4 stitches popped, so there is a small (less then 1/4") spot where water or anything can squeese under the rubber seal and get into the car.

Is there a kit or easy way to replace or restitch those few popped stiches? Other then that, the top is perfect, no scuffs, back window has no creases or marks at all.

Thanks again!
Brian

84' 944
98' Boxster
sewn into its place, using the existing holes in the top. At least this is what I was told when I researched having a cracked rear window replaced instead of having the top replaced (at a cost of over $4000). Compare this to the ~$700 cost of having a new rear window sewn in...

I found at least 2 shops that came highly recommended by other Boxster owners and BMW convertible owners that do excellent rear window replacement but haven't used either one yet. Oh, these shops are located in the San Jose, Santa Clara cities of California.

But if you live in a reasonably sized metro area there should be at least one shop that can do a good job for you.

After market replacement tops can be another answer, although I've been told they change the roof profile if they come with glass rear window in order the original top mechanism doesn't fold the top where the now glass rear window is.

Frankly, if the original top/liner is in good condition, I'd strive to find an auto top repair shop that does quality work and have a new window sewn in. Find some addresses from the phone book and drive by. The one with the most Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, etc., is probably the one you want to use. Or ask around at various BMW, Mercedes, etc. dealerships to see where they send their soft top work.

Your local Porsche dealer might point you in the right direction. Out of three I spoke with about this, one told me it farmed the work out and told me the shop's name. The 2nd dealer said it only replaced the top for cracked rear windows. A 3rd dealer said it farmed the work out but didn't tell me the shop's name.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Boxster rear window question