Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein Sport shocks vs stock with 27K Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein Sport shocks vs stock with 27K Miles?

Hello there,

my 986S has around 27,000 miles. I had noticed a little nervousness under hard acceleration. Maybe...it was just the nose getting a little light. The car is recently stock spec aligned and the tires are new 17" Pilot Sport 2 N-specs.

When doing a tech inspection before a DE day, my mechanic suggested a change to Bilstein Sport shocks for my car if I plan on a few more DE's in the next few months.

He said he felt the original shocks seemed to lose their resiliancy fairly quickly and that if the car was going to be a daily driver as well, that PS9's may be overkill, and that the Sport shocks did not require anything extra for installation.

Do you think that this is a good intermediate upgrade?

If you have run these shocks, how has ride been affected? I am ok with added stiffness to the ride, just not something that will make my better half complain when we drive over expansion joints on the highway. Comprendo

Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock 030 shocks are identical in construction and valving to the Bilstein HD shocks. Those are identical in construction to the non-030 shocks, but with different valving. The "sport" shocks are again the same, but the shaft is shorter to accomodate a shorter spring. I find it hard to believe your stockers are toast at 27,000. I converted my car to US 030 specs for competition (at 40,000 miles) and didn't really notice a whole lot of difference between my stock shocks and the bilstein HDs.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 PM
gfl
Racer

I dont have any personal experience, btu I have seen/read abut/ heard of very few shocks needing replacement before much higher mileages.......
Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree w/ john and gfl. very unlikely you need new shocks yet. get your alignment, wheel bearings and tie rods checked. much more likely culprit.

as for the upgrade, i have the bilstein sport. they are definitely better than stock, but not THAT much better. i'd spend the money on other things first (M030 springs / sways come to mind).
Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I guesed that the shocks are not done but.... I still feel a bit of uneasiness under hard accelerations (foot to the floor 3rd conmtinuing the same in 4th). The mechanic in question did not imply that they were shot, just that they were a bit soft in rebound and that a Bilstein Sport shock would be a satisfying upgrade for the type of use (street and some DE).

As for alignment and suspension, the car was aligned recently by a good local independant (another shop), so that is not an issue, nor do I hear and weirdness or feel a differnce in cornering either left or right. Methinks all the parts are ok.

Insite, do you have lowering springs too? I read that the valving of the HD and Sport shocks are identical, just that the Sport are shorter as to work with lowering springs. True? You feel that the M030 springs and sways are a better way to go for a dual use like mone?

Thanks for all your opinions, keep 'em coming!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

the HD and sport have the same valving. the sports are about 1" shorter. i have the M030 RoW springs; they lower the car 1" up front and 1/2" in back.

if you drive primarily on the street with occasional track use, get the M030 RoW springs with the boxster S M030 front sway and the boxster base M030 rear sway (it's thicker). i do recommend the upgrade to bilstein sports.

if you want adjustability in roll stiffness, get the M030 RoW springs with the base M030 rear sway OR the H&R rear sway (it's pretty stiff). get the front sway from a 996 GT3. you will also need adjustable drop links. they are available from Tarrett, TRG, or from me for a lot less $$$.

it's a VERY good idea to decide how far you want to go with your car NOW. the reason is that if you progress down the M030 road and later decide you want PSS9's or such, you'll be out some money. it would be better just to spend the extra cash on the PSS9's (or other coilovers) up front if you think you'll eventually go that route.

how comfortable do you want your car to stay?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:12 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Put on H&R sway bars,it's a big difference.Even the shocks get stiffer,
Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone!

.... preparing upgrade budget.....
Old 08-14-2007, 04:46 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having driven a car with the Euro 030 suspension, IMO it's about ideal for a street / lightly tracked or autocrossed Boxster. It's not too stiff, it makes the stance just right and it's very affordable.

Of course the PSS9 stuff affords more adjustability, but for a street car I wouldn't want to go any lower than the Euro 030.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by David A
Put on H&R sway bars,it's a big difference.Even the shocks get stiffer,
a lot of guys feel that the H&R rear is too stiff for an S without a diff. you'll get a lot of inside wheelspin even on the softest setting. also, i don't think the H&R front is adjustable (i could be wrong), whereas the GT3 front bar is.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Sport shocks vs stock with 27K Miles?