Sponsored by:

986S front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:47 AM
kentubman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 986S front wheel bearing

I'm replacing wheel bearings on my 2000 986 S. Does the bearing / hub carrier need to come out of the car? It appears I have to get the strut out of the way in order to get the tension bolt (stub axle?) out of the way to pull the bearing. Is there a way to do that without removing the entire assembly?

Also, when disconnecting the control arms, how hard should it be to get them disconnected?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:55 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have an in-car bearing puller ( I have the one from Sir Tools) you can do it in the car. You remove the caliper and rotor, then the 2 bolts that holt the strut in the hub and the 3 bolts that hold the strut bearing up top (mark where the bolts are in the slots so you don't have to get an alignment). You'll need a spring compressor so you can remove the strut and spring as an assemblyif you have stock springs. On my car with lowering springs I could pull the strut assembly out using a little muscle (I don't have much) without a compressor. You do not disconect the control arm if you are doing it in-car. If you don't have an on-car puller but have access to a press it's not that much more work to remove the hub and remove the spindle and bearing using a press (but then you need an alignment. I think if you do a search on wheel bearings there's an excellent write-up with pics that somebody posted here a while back.
Good luck!
Cheers
Randy

EDIT - here's the writeup:

http://boxster.wikia.com/wiki/Wheel_Bearing_Change
Old 08-03-2007, 06:11 PM
kentubman
Track Day

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
If you have an in-car bearing puller ( I have the one from Sir Tools) you can do it in the car. You remove the caliper and rotor, then the 2 bolts that holt the strut in the hub and the 3 bolts that hold the strut bearing up top (mark where the bolts are in the slots so you don't have to get an alignment).
Thanks. I was trying to avoid doing an alignment. If marking the bolts is good enough I'll try that.

I also have the SIR tool for this purpose.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 PM
kentubman
Track Day

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
If you don't have an on-car puller but have access to a press it's not that much more work to remove the hub and remove the spindle and bearing using a press (but then you need an alignment.
Can you explain why I need an alignment after the carrier has been removed and reinstalled? The control arm and tie rod lengths have not changed so shouldn't they go back in and position the wheel in the same place?

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:44 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you don't

Quick Reply: 986S front wheel bearing