Sponsored by:

Vibration When Driving With AC On

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:04 PM
ranesh
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration When Driving With AC On

I have a 2004 Boxster with about 23k miles. All scheduled maintenance done on time at Porsche dealerships. Of late, I have noticed that there is a vibration when I drive with my AC on. It usually happens when I am slowing down or coming to a stop and press the clutch to downshift gears or go into neutral. The vibration occurs momentarily and quickly disappears only to recur again. The vibration doesn't happen when I switch off the AC. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:25 AM
ranesh
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump
Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Couple of things; Could be engine idle control not able to control...

Originally Posted by ranesh
I have a 2004 Boxster with about 23k miles. All scheduled maintenance done on time at Porsche dealerships. Of late, I have noticed that there is a vibration when I drive with my AC on. It usually happens when I am slowing down or coming to a stop and press the clutch to downshift gears or go into neutral. The vibration occurs momentarily and quickly disappears only to recur again. The vibration doesn't happen when I switch off the AC. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance.
engine idle speed and vibration is engine idle speed dropping too low until engine idle controller catches up -- so to speak -- and brings engine idle speed back to nominal.

Another possibility would be one of the electric radiator fans has a cracked or missing blade and this out of balance condition causes some vibration that is more noticable at slow speeds.

Failing A/C compressor/accessory drive could be another possiblity. Or loose A/C compressor.

Assuming you can't reproduce the symptom with the AC not being on...

If symptoms present when A/C off, then... Well post again if you find this is the case.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Vibration When Driving With AC On