Popping and Vibration in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:54 PM
blilley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping and Vibration in steering wheel

Good afternoon,

I have a question I have a popping feeling in the steering wheel if I take a 40 degree or more turn. I don't here the pop, just feel it in the steering wheel. Also I am getting vibration, in the steering wheel, noticeable at 40 mph and the most violent at about 75-80 mph.

Does anyone know what this possibly could be? Thank you in advance.

blilley
Old 07-11-2007, 04:00 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Check your front end components. It could be a bad strut bearing, a tie-rod end, a ball joint or a sway bar endlink. Start with the easy stuff and work up.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blilley
Good afternoon,

I have a question I have a popping feeling in the steering wheel if I take a 40 degree or more turn. I don't here the pop, just feel it in the steering wheel. Also I am getting vibration, in the steering wheel, noticeable at 40 mph and the most violent at about 75-80 mph.

Does anyone know what this possibly could be? Thank you in advance.

blilley
a continuous popping while turning could be a bad wheel bearing.

your vibration in the steering wheel could be many things. first thing to check is the condition of the tires and air pressures. are the tires properly inflated and holding air at that psi over a week?

are there bubbles in the sidewall or any other damage? if so, replace the damaged tires to see if the problem goes away (you'd want to replace a damaged tire anyway, obviously.)

another very possible cause is that your wheels are not properly balanced. the most likely cause for this is an experienced person doing the initial balance, or maybe you lost a wheel weight while driving. (happens all the time). for your balancing, i would find a shop that has a Hunter 9700 road-force balancing machine for a perfect balance. you can find one near you here: http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

another possibility is that one (or more) of your wheels is out-of-round from hitting a pothole, etc.

Quick Reply: Popping and Vibration in steering wheel