Sponsored by:

Warming Up: Driver's Manual vs. Boxster Engine Failure Survey

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:41 AM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gfl
The issue is nto around driveability - its about lubrication related wear and failure.

In very cold weather my car takes 20 min easily before oil is at 100 degC - which is roughly design spec.

Grant
do you have an oil temp gauge in your Boxster? i don't. i have a 'coolant temp' gauge.

my $.02 is to start the car and wait 10-20 seconds for the oil to get everywhere it needs to be, then drive the car gently (under 3 or 4000 rpms) until the engine, oil, transmission and suspension are warmed up (~10-15 minutes of driving).
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris_in_nh
do you have an oil temp gauge in your Boxster? i don't. i have a 'coolant temp' gauge.

my $.02 is to start the car and wait 10-20 seconds for the oil to get everywhere it needs to be, then drive the car gently (under 3 or 4000 rpms) until the engine, oil, transmission and suspension are warmed up (~10-15 minutes of driving).
I totally agree...

On a day when you can put the top down you need only about 3-5 minutes of driving to warm the car up, basically as soon as the coolant gauge moves, your good.

At idle the oil pump is barely making enough pressure to lubricate the engine. It takes a really long time to warm up a motor at idle, plus it is barely getting the oil moving enough to keep from seizing up. Oil pressure at idle is anywhere between 30-35psi or so. Driving will be double that at 50-60psi and redline will probably push into the 80+ psi range. When the car is cold the pressure and volume from the pump is low. You are much better off driving the car at low rpm under a light load to warm the car up than having it sit cold with cold oil at very low oil pressure idling.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:51 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a link to the survey?

Quick Reply: Warming Up: Driver's Manual vs. Boxster Engine Failure Survey