Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top - scored by cables?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 PM
artandscience
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top - scored by cables?

Hi, I just bought a 2001 Boxster S and when washing it today noticed some scoring on the convertible soft top. There are matching scores (one on either side) about 1.5" long. The surface of the canvas is pretty roughed up and it looks as if if it continued it would wear through the canvas.

I suspect the transmission cables for the top. I investigated and found that the cable sheath had separated from the ferrule on both sides. I haven't yet worked out if the scoring is in alignment with the exposed edge of the ferrule yet but I'm suspecting it is.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I imagine my best bet is to crimp on new ferrules quickly, or perhaps put in new cables entirely (I've read the threads on replacing the cables already).

Anyone have any ideas as to whether this is a common occurrence?

Many thanks,
Stefan
Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 AM
artandscience
Track Day

Default I'm so wrong

Actually, I'm completely wrong on second look. It's not the transmission cables it is something else. {I can't include a bloody picture because I'm too new in this forum - that really, really sucks}

Anyone know the function of this cable? Is it just to tension the top? Seems like I should likely replace it on both sides.

I can provide a picture URL if anyone might be interested in seeing it.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:09 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not seeing the pics, I would have to say that they are the cables for tensioning the rear of the top down. You un-hook them to gain access to the engine compartment. If they are coming loose from the top, I would have to say replace the top. You can get one made cheaper from an upholstery shop for around $1500.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:42 PM
artandscience
Track Day

Thanks.. it appears just the short cable (about 12" long) has problems. They are called a "tension rope" and seem to be easily replaced at about $12 each. Will try and report back.

It has a heim joint on either end.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:53 PM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jugger911
Not seeing the pics, I would have to say that they are the cables for tensioning the rear of the top down. You un-hook them to gain access to the engine compartment. If they are coming loose from the top, I would have to say replace the top. You can get one made cheaper from an upholstery shop for around $1500.
replace the top? that's ridiculous. the (rear hold-down) cables have silver ball sockets on each end and they just need to be removed and replaced if they are broken/stretched. i still don't see how they would make markings on the conv top canvas, since they attach to the very bottom of the conv top frame and would be underneath the frame (and out of the way) when the top is down.

also, a new top doesn't cost $1500. you can get a perfect aftermarket top for ~$400 for a plastic window top, or ~$700 for one with a glass window.

artandscience, please post the URL to the picture. i'd like to see where these wear marks are and pics of the cables you're talking about. just FYI, fabric creases are normal on the sides of the conv top (behind the side windows). it's just a consequence of the top folding at those points. i'm not sure if this is where you are seeing the wear marks, but i'd be glad to take a look.

and are you sure it's a 'heim joint'? the only cable that i know of with something that resembles a heim joint is the cable that runs over the side window frames and attaches to the conv top frame right behind the doors. when you start to put your top down, you can see it separate from the window frame a little. this is a tension cable that pulls the top tight to the perimeter of the side windows and is sewed into the top canvas. i am assuming from your description that this is not the cable that you are talking about.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:40 PM
artandscience
Track Day

Sorry, Chris. You're right, it's not really a Heim joint, just a metal ball and socket cable. I'll post the pictures this weekend (or try). Perhaps I have the requisite number of posts by now.

I've seen the marks from folding that you've mentioned but these are definitely rub/abrasion marks, not folding marks. Quite short (maybe 1.5"). I fail to see anything that would have caused them.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:42 PM
artandscience
Track Day

Here's the actual cable, wrapped in some electrical tape:

Old 07-20-2007, 01:01 AM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

ok, those are the cables i thought you were talking about. BTW, your pic is HUGE! you should resize them to 640x480 before posting to make it easy on the eyes.

could you post a pic of the wear marks that you're talking about?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 PM
artandscience
Track Day

Default finally, picture of wear marks

Here it is.. taken when I coated the top with water repellent last weekend.

Note that there is a matching mark, same length and wear pattern, in the same place on the other side. I really don't see anything obvious but thought that someone here might have encountered this.
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i have something like this on my 996
i will try to post a pic tonight.
let me know if it's fixable.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

Same wear as every Boxster top
Old 08-03-2007, 05:15 PM
artandscience
Track Day

You mean every Boxster top has a 1.5" wear mark eating through the convertible top on both sides?

Pardon me, but I seriously doubt that. See the dark area in the picture above? That's the damage. It's not a wear mark from folding - it's an abrasion.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

No need to wait for a Pardon, No Green Mile here.

Wait and see who else also replies to the same. My 944S2 did tha same in a slightly different spot, but again, the same wear spot on both sides in a certain area, all 944Cab's that I looked at did also.
As a point of reference, I don't use my 986 as a daliy driver and I haven't put my top down more than 50 times since I've owned it. It's got the same wear marks as yours.

Most others I have seen sitting also have it.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Mine's a 2001, and has the same marks. I have had the marks just like that on both sides of my top for years now, but they have not totally worn through the fabric yet. Read that the abrasions happen faster if you put your top up/down when the top is still wet (ie. right after a passing shower or car wash), as the fabric rubs against the rubber sheath below it this way.

Also keep in mind that the soft top is considered by the dealer as a "wear and tear" item, and has a limited service life. My hunch is that if you bring it to any dealer, they will tell you it is normal wear. Also, I run with local Pcar clubs here and while some don't have these marks, several Boxsters I looked at do.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 08-03-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 PM
senna21
Racer

I've been looking at Boxsters (for a future purchase) and Iin the past few weeks every single one I've seen or driven has had those marks.

Quick Reply: Convertible top - scored by cables?