Sponsored by:

Denied warranty claim

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Denied warranty claim

Anyone know of a warranty claim that was denied based on the car being driven on a track? Anyone know of a claim that was initially denied but later reversed? If so, how? Go to another dealer? Go up the ladder from the dealer to PCNA???
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the warranty claim was for what problem?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Anything that would potentially experience more wear as a result of track use such as the engine or tranny.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two friends that regularly took their Boxsters to their dealer for service and warranty claims...with race seats and harnesses installed. Never a problem.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:53 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damage caused by a type 2 over-rev will almost deny your claim, ie a bad shift causing a mechanical over-rev, like going from 5th to 2nd
Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the warranty specifically excludes track and competition use. So that should beno surprise. You did read the contract, right?

That said, typically they onyl deny (and with a lawyer may only be able to) if there is a reasonable connection. Clutches, brakes, heat related, over-rev, wheel bearing wear and tear, and about a dozen others qualify.

Grant
Old 07-03-2007, 11:46 PM
legend motorsports
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, and as I've said to many a customer If the defect can be traced back to abuse or modification (racing) the repair will not be a warrantable issue. However, it there is no relationship between racing, abuse, misuse, the repair will be covered. it's as simple as that. In other words, you probably won't get a warranty repair if you break it racing! You'd be surprised how much can be discovered just by reading the computer.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I'm one of the friends that Bull mentioned...

I've gone to the dealer for warranty claims with aftermarket suspension pieces on, race seats (GT3 seats) and harnesses. I've never had troubles. My last visit, I had vinyl decals on, as well...

There's no incentive for the dealer to deny you service. They get paid from PCNA for the warranty claims, so if they like to get money, they'll accept it. If they think there will be a problem, they'll call up PCNA before they do work.

In the time I've been doing DE, I've had only one problem (out of several) that can directly be attributed to track driving. That was covered, but I was told that if it happened again, I would have to eat the cost. That one thing (and it will happen to all Boxster/Cayman owners at some point) was that the plastic coupling on the power steering lines broke. My opinion is that Porsche used such a cheap part that they should be paying for it.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are! In fact, of the three I was thinking of, two of you may have made claims on the same car, different owners.

Quick Reply: Denied warranty claim