Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the approx. cost of new top?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the approx. cost of new top?

Was just preemptively wondering what the total cost of a new top and labor for my Boxster would be at the dealer if my rear window's lining or whatever goes kaput. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:54 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

IIRC it's somewhere between $3000 and $4000 for a Porsche top, plus removal and installation at a dealer
Old 06-26-2007, 02:27 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is putting a new top on something you could do your self? I am sure aftermarket companies make tops (with glass rear windows).
Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Glass window top for 97-02
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

One thing to consider is as far as I know, the glass windows on the retrofit tops are quite a bit smaller than the plastic window which allows for less rear-view visibility.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the glass top is the way to go. you can install it yourself IF you are VERY mechanically inclined. aftermarket tops are usually between $600 and $900 for the part and $500 - $1000 for the installation. if you haven't done it before, it will take you twelve to fifteen hours. it is possible to do it in around four hours.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:52 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

So about $4,000 for the part and install at the dealer - holy crap that's a lot! I hope I never have to have this done. Sounds like someone could buy an aftermarket one somewhere(not sure who'd sell them), and have the dealer install it. Not sure who else would be experienced in installing tops. Thanks for the replys.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

There are several after market top available. There is one that even sport a glass window if yours did not come with one. PITA for sure to do but not rocket science either. Sometimes you can find a really good used top from someone who wanted a different color. Just some alternatives to the 4K.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 PM
chris_in_nh
Intermediate

you can a new plastic window top for around $400. i got mine from RichandFamousAutoTops.com. they were great to work with. i got a custom color instead of black. my car is Ocean Blue and my 'Porsche' color options were standard black or Metropol blue. Metropol didn't seem blue enough to match my car, so i ended up going with a Mercedes blue which is a perfect match for Ocean Blue. i also had the option of the factory 'fishtank green'-tinted window or 'clear', so i got the clear. it looks great. the quality of the top is excellent.

you can find aftermarket replacement tops all over eBay. Robbins makes one, as well as a number of other manufacturers. there is no way i would ever pay $4000 for a top from Porsche. Porsche doesn't even make tops, they sub it out to a top manufacturer that uses Porsche's specs. any top manufacturer can measure a top and produce a perfect replica - and they do.

someone suggested bringing an aftermarket top to the dealer for installation. i don't think they would do this, as they could not offer a warranty on the product, and the dealer usually sends this work out to an upholstery shop, anyway. if you call the dealer, you can ask them who they use to replace their tops. then call the upholstery shop yourself.

the top can be DIYed. here's a link to a top canvas DIY with pics.
http://boxster.wikia.com/images/e/eb...Canvas_R_R.pdf

i looked at the aftermarket glass-window tops from GAHH and BAS International, but the glass window is so small, it looks out of place to me, and IMHO spoils the lines of the Boxster. these tops are about $900. i'm not sure if you have your choice of custom colors.

here's a pic of my car with the new canvas laid over the old top while i was checking for fit/color match.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Marc Gelefsky had his done aftermarket. I think it looks great. There's a nice thread on it here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/281276-new-glass-window-top-installed-inside-pics-added.html

Quick Reply: What's the approx. cost of new top?