Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Boxster S questions (Yes I am a noob)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 AM
underpressure02
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Boxster S questions (Yes I am a noob)

Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum. I am looking at buying my buddies 2001 Boxster S with 60K to use as my daily driver. I did a search and found some issues with the older boxster motor but did not find much about the newer motors. I did find that it seems the RMS is a common problem. So my questions are.

What are the major service intervals that should have been performed up until this mileage? Also are there any other major coming up and what is the cost associated with them?

How reliable is the car and can/should I expect to have reliability issues like I did with my VW GTI or S4 (IE other German cars)?

What are some of the common problems to look for when buying this car? For instance the GTI the rack and pinions leaked, ign switch went bad, coil packs cracked and went bad and so on.

Are these cars difficult to work on which would require me to take it to a dealer or am I good with a code scanner and some mechanical knowledge?

TIA for your time and sorry if these questions are reposts.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give this site a try, should have all the info you are looking for...

http://www.986faq.com/

BTW: The Boxster is a great DD!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mjro service is every 30 - very major every 60k.

I find it quite reliable. And much easier to repair than Vws or Audis today. I have an S6. I'd much rather fix the 986.

On the other hand, my '00 S4 went 80k with few issues. Hated to part with it.

Grant
Old 07-04-2007, 11:30 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a guy, Mike Focke, that has put up a lot of web pages of info on Boxsters. You may want to check out: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mi...oxsterwebpages

My experience is that my Boxster is very reliable (on the order of lesser Japanese models) and about average to work on. Sure, some stuff is a PITA because the access is limited, but most common things like brakes and such are vastly easier than most cars. They are infinitely more affordable if you can do maintenance/work yourself because often the dealerships are clueless and treat you like you're Mr. Money Bags.

Mike Focke also has the service intervals posted. Pretty typical stuff--a lot of check/inspect sort of things. There are things like tires, O2 sensors, cats, coolant tanks, keys, and other things that do not seem to last as long as they should, but these are not deal breakers IMO since they may never fail on you. By 60K miles, any major engine problems should have long appeared by now along with any other major defects. You are actually probably in the sweet spot as far as cost to own, maintain, and depreciation. Have a good technician knowledgeable in Boxsters check it out first before committing. Also, you should not buy the car if a "major" maintenance problem (like an engine replacement) will break you financially. Even though these are fairly reliable, owning and maintaining them will cost more than most other cars.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2001 Boxster S questions (Yes I am a noob)