Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its to keep the bearing together
Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

well I did it yesterday

took me most of the day, 6 trips to the hardware store for tools... (why do metric tool sets skip 16 and 18mm sockets and box wrenches?)

I think I could do it in about 4 hours if i had to again, less if I had a lift to use

the tool kit from Pelican is a Sir Tools hub puller, it worked great, no need to undo any ball joints, but you do need to take off the aluminum support bars to let the cv joint come out

my only problem was I broke the head off one of the bolts for the brake disk shield, so no big deal, I drilled it out and got my tap to re-tap it... but the tap broke off inside... not good... so I've got no shield on that side

the car is a ton quieter now, amazing how much noise it was making (I thought it was my new tires!) but all is good now, I even took the opportunity to cut off a rattling part from the cat on that side and did an oil change, the drive in this morning was wonderful!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 PM
artandscience
Track Day

A couple of things: could you not have rented a puller for much less than buying one (sorry, just reading this thread now). Second, a good machine shop/welder should be able to weld a bead onto the end of that tap that you can grab with a vise grip to back it out. I've done it before and it works a treat (if the welder can get into the spot). Best of luck.

Quick Reply: wheel bearing replacement