Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Boxster "Remote Top 996" users out there?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Boxster "Remote Top 996" users out there?

Any of you guys have Remote Top 996 installed on your 986? How do you like it? I like the idea of it, and am considering buying one, but you must have to leave the top unsecured for it to work, right? I'm not sure I'm thrilled about that idea.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone who has it on a Boxster. What are your impressions?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to ask you why you signed up for the 996 remote top
Old 06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
pl
Drifting

did u mean to say "Smart Top"?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Well, I like the idea of not having to park the car, put the top up, lock the top down, get out and go in the store or a diner for 5 min stop, then get to the car, open it, get in, put the key in, turn it on, before opening the top EVERY TIME I make a 5 min stop and the car isn't out of my sight. This is where the Remote Top might be nice. In a mall or something, where my time away from the car would be extended, I would still want to latch the top and lock up the car. I also like some of the other features it has, like the auto door locking/unlocking and the alarm active with the top down without that ugly assed orange clip.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the fact that you'd assumably have to leave the top unlatched for the device to be usable. So, for example, if I am using the Remote Top while at work, and the top isn't locked down, would water get into the interior between the top's unlatched front edge and the windscreen top in the event that a shower passes by ?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Originally Posted by pl
did u mean to say "Smart Top"?
No, same company, different product.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by First986NJ
Well, I like the idea of not having to park the car, put the top up, lock the top down, get out and go in the store or a diner for 5 min stop, then get to the car, open it, get in, put the key in, turn it on, before opening the top EVERY TIME I make a 5 min stop and the car isn't out of my sight. This is where the Remote Top might be nice. In a mall or something, where my time away from the car would be extended, I would still want to latch the top and lock up the car. I also like some of the other features it has, like the auto door locking/unlocking and the alarm active with the top down without that ugly assed orange clip.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the fact that you'd assumably have to leave the top unlatched for the device to be usable. So, for example, if I am using the Remote Top while at work, and the top isn't locked down, would water get into the interior between the top's unlatched front edge and the windscreen top in the event that a shower passes by ?
for stops like that why not use the red clip but dye it black?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:10 PM
First986NJ
Racer

That would be one way to go I guess. I've seen people "paint" them with a permanent black marker, but it looks kind of rinky-dink in my opinion. Not sure if painting it is an option, or if it would cause it to malfunction.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:26 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

it flexes too much for paint to work well

try soaking it black clothing dye, that stuff you can get in powder form at the supermarket

Quick Reply: Any Boxster "Remote Top 996" users out there?