Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS problem - fix with non factory warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:14 PM
domo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS problem - fix with non factory warranty?

Small amounts of oil will leak. The leak seems to be getting worst since it used to leak if it sits for the weekend, now it leaks everyday. From what i have been reading it does seems like is a RMS leak.

I purchased the car cheap, its a 2000 2.7 with 52,000 miles. it was cheap enough for me to purchase a 2 year / 30,000 miles extended warranty and still fell like I got a good deal.

there were different packages with the extended warranty, i decided to get the second to the highest sinces it is suppose to cover everything with the engine and transmission. I was told that if the motor blows, this package is enough to cover a new motor.

I did not get the car from porsche, but from a Honda dealership.

will this extended used car warranty cover the repair of the RMS problem?

please advice.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Joee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know why not. I would start tracking down with the holders of the warranty. Replacing an RMS requires some special tools and knowledge, I doubt that a Honda dealership has either. You're probably talking 1-2 K$'s toget an RMS fixed. I would get back to the selling dealer ASAP.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

I believe that the going rate for a RMS replacement is around 9 hours and the seal costs around $20. So depending upon the hourly rate, you shouldn't be charged more than $1K for the replacement.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:44 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Whether the repair is covered will depend upon what your warranty agreement states. What is/is not covered vary widely. Best advice is to read through the agreement (preferably before purchasing). No one here will really be able to help you much more from that perspective.

As for where/whom you purchased the car from being a factor in determining coverage, I'd be very surprised if that was a factor.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Laura
Pro

Most after market warranties will cover the leak. The company will probably send out an inspector to verify the severity after the claim has been filed. I would suggest taking it to a good Porsche independent and have them handle it for you. Good Luck.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:26 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Read your warranty and be prepared. Most companies will pay a certain $$ amount for the warranty. They will try to bargain with the dealer ship. IIRC the cost range from about $1800 to $2800. It's not cheap. My warranty company paid about 95% including car rental. Good luck

Quick Reply: RMS problem - fix with non factory warranty?