Sponsored by:

2001 Boxster Overheated!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Anthony DiBernardo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Boxster Overheated!

A few weeks ago, the low coolant light came on. I topped off the reservoir and the problem seemed to go away. Today, the light came on again. I again topped it off and went to the store. On my way home, the car overheated in traffic. Any suggestions as to the problem/solution will be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:00 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check under the trunk lining for coolant
I vote coolant tank leaking
Old 06-02-2007, 12:49 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

leaking tank is a good bet - they crack underneath and leak away the coolant - new tank is required - $600-700

Also, it's very common for the coolant cap to be cross threaded when you put it on, and this allows the coolant to leak out when hot/pressureized - you may see coolant in that plastic well area around the coolant/oil fillers. Look at it really carefully when you fit the cap - it's so easy to cross thread that you may not notice unless you're paying attention. My cap always locks with the + on the top lined up with the car - if it's not, then it's cross threaded.

Final thing is the coolant cap itself - old model caps have an issue where the pressure release fails, and you loose coolant. New caps have a serial number on the inside that ends in 01 - there was a TSB telling dealers to swap for the 01 part, but not all were done.

Quick Reply: 2001 Boxster Overheated!