Replacing CD Changer w/ an MP3 CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:07 PM
2Brak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing CD Changer w/ an MP3 CD Changer

Hello all,

As always, I did a search before I posted. I have the PCM1/CD Changer/Nav. Have any of you thought about or replaced the stock CD Changer with a MP3 CD changer? I realize iPod is the best way to go, but since I already have a CD Changer I thought why not just burn the MP3's onto a disk and then put 6 disks in and be set. Surely, there is a changer that plays MP3's that works with the stock head unit.

Thank you,

2Brak
Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to suggest a Phatbox but you need to have a CDR-220 or CR-220 both without nav in a 97-02 car. Sounds like you have nav so your kinda stuck.

To my knowledge (which is broad but at times limited to specialized products) the changer reads the music and head unit interprets it, so your head unit must be setup for MP3 or it wont work either way even if you find a changer that does.

Unfortunately in a situation like this you might almost have to go the iPod route. If thats the only way then its better than nothing and if you rig up a good holder for it and hide the wires etc then it will work just fine and could be aesthetically pleasing if you do it right.

In my car I take off the songs I really like on my CD's and make my own burnt cd's. Typically I can get 18-20 songs on a 80min CD-R so I can get almost two cd's onto one. Then into the changer with 6 cd's holding about the same music as 12. That way you will get more of your own music without having to swap cd's in the cartridge.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:08 PM
2Brak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply. I posted this question also in the 996 forum (I have a '99 996 and after about 50 views, no replies, and also in Renntech.org. so glad someone actually knows. I prefer the iPod and I use an iPod now but the only problem is the only integration for my head unit is FM modulation. I am considering hard wire FM Modulation, at least it would be better then sticking my iPod FM modulator in the cigarette lighter like I do now. I'd get an after market head unit but the problem is none of them illuminate in orange and I am very picky about having everything matach perfectly and appear OEM.

Quick Reply: Replacing CD Changer w/ an MP3 CD Changer