Sponsored by:

Supercharging the 986

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 05:07 AM
Supercharged 996
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Supercharging the 986

We are currently developing a new supercharger package for the 996 using the Vortech centrifugal supercharger, which, as most of you already know, is a very efficient type of supercharger. Naturally, we also want to apply this product to the 986. Located 1 hour North of Los Angeles, we are looking for a local 986 owner who would be willing to let us use his or her car for protyping purposes. We need the car for at least 3 weeks, and you get a free supercharger as part of the bargain!
Old 08-27-2002, 04:15 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

First Question:
What type of 986? A 2.5L, 2.7L or a 3.2L "S"?

As you must know there are differences with each that will have to be addressed for a supercharger to work adequately on each one, so I might suggest getting 3 Boxsters to work with in order to tune the SC for each configuration.

Second Question:
Why the limit to a local car only? Is there a chance that the car will have to keep going back to the shop or something? Provided that transportation could be arranged, is there really any reason why the person has to be local vs. someone remotely giving up their car for 3 weeks?

If you want a 3.2L S to play with, and you don't mind the car coming in from out of state, then I'd be willing to be a guinea pig. I will also be keynoting two conferences in Los Angeles at the end of September first week of October and could either pick up or deliver the car at that time.

Email me if you are interested.
Thanks!
Old 08-28-2002, 12:32 PM
Herb E.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ken- I'm currently looking at a 2000 Boxster S the replace my 87 Carrera. Can you let me know how reliable its been, and general impression of the car in comparison to other Porsches you may have owned? Also, you mention your car is modified in your signature....what have you done with it and what is the estimated HP increase? I like the handling of the car and the power of the S is up from my Carrera, but I'd still like to squeeze additional HPs out of it, without going so far as supercharging. Thx.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:10 PM
RobertG
Racer

hey you guys are right near me. When can the SoCal Boxster Group get a tour of your place?
I hope that your supercharger is better than TPC's. The TPC kit looks very homebuilt.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:30 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Robert,
Keep your hands off my car while you are there. I know you'll want to take a supercharged Boxster S out for a test drive won't you?

My modifications include:
Evo Intake
TTP Headers
ECU reprogram by Guenther

And if you check the Specifications page on my website you'll see everything with links, and dyno charts, etc.

<a href="http://www.smiley.net/boxster/" target="_blank">http://www.smiley.net/boxster/</a>

Enjoy!
Old 08-28-2002, 01:34 PM
RobertG
Racer

yeah, ill take my ball peen hammer and pound a few choice dents into your headers. Watch has you loose HP/Trq at 5K rpm for no good reason.Bwhahahahahahahaha. I hope the SCBG can do a road trip to Fillmore. There are some great canyon roads on the way there.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:24 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did this ever happen? I might be willing to volunteer for this? That is if it can happend while I still have my Honda to drive.

/m
Old 09-11-2002, 03:35 AM
Bernie
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Net Maniac,

Yea, its for real....
I've seen their development on supercharging 928's and it is awesome.
I've placed myself in line for one of their kits. Absolute work of art.
They are still expecting someone's Boxster but you should contact them to see wazzup.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Supercharging the 986