Sponsored by:

Oil Change Before Winter Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 01:21 PM
GeoffD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Change Before Winter Storage?

I have 5000 miles on my 02 Boxster and have just put it in winter storage in my garage. When storing a Porsche for the winter, I usually change the oil as my understanding is that combustion products and other stuff present in used oil is corrosive when left to sit in alumnium engines for long periods. In this case, I'm not sure if I should change the oil as it has such low mileage and the first scheduled change is at 15,000 miles. Further complications.... the manual says to change it, the dealer says not to. What do you guys think?

Also, does anyone know the right torque for the oil drain bolt?

Thanks

GD
Old 11-23-2002, 06:46 PM
craigg
Instructor

I wouldn't. Synth oil won't break down & the filter should get most of the crud out. I live in the same area as you, had a 911 for years and never worried about it. I am driving my Boxster on nice days - all year round - just no salt or that kind of stuff!
Old 11-24-2002, 05:39 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
37 foot pounds with a 8 mm allen bit for the drain plug. 18 pounds for the filter housing.

Jeff
Old 11-26-2002, 02:06 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

If you have M1 in the case, it will be fine. I never torque an oil pan plug. My friend insisted on torqueing everything and cracked the pan on his Alfa GTV-6, now that was a costly repair. Just tight and then 1/4 to 1/2 a turn more to seat the washer is all you need.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:45 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GD,

What is the concern about changing the oil to early? I am curious. I know synthetic oils are more durable and last much longer than dino oil but why not change it more often? It seems like cheap insurance to me. It would seem that fresh clean oil would better to have sitting in the car during storage than contaminated oil. Another thought, doesn’t the mileage rule on changing oil also depend on the type of miles the car was subject to?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Before Winter Storage?