Sponsored by:

Pontiac Solstice Commerical

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
who is paying $80K-$100K for a 380 HP Cayman? I wouldn't do that even if you gave me the $$$$.

there is no replacement for displacement! Sub 400 HP for that kind of money just isn't cutting it..
The outgoing 996 GT3 cost something like $102,000 MSRP and had 380 horsepower. The current GT3 costs $106,000 MSRP but it's not that easy to find out at that price - and you only get 415 horsepower.

Furthermore, the GT3 is a 3.6L car and the Cayman X51 is a 3.8L car, so the displacement is there

http://www.rufautocentre.com/conversions/CaymanS.asp

I'm not sure a 997 GT3 is any faster in a straight line than a Ruf X51 Cayman. Which one is faster around a circuit probably depends on what you ordered for the Ruf, suspension-wise.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:59 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

have you guys caught this commerical Pontiac is running for their GXP Solstice and SUV?
At the end of the commerical they say the Solstice GXP is "faster than a Porsche Boxster" and that the SUV is faster than an X5

Obviously they are comparing their upgraded 260 HP Solstice to a base Boxster.
Which is dishonest in my opinion. And even if they are comparing the Base 987 250?HP Boxster to the GXP Solstice, how are they defining faster?

hmmm.....

No offense but why even bring this up? It is obviously not really needing of a response. The Pontiac is a decent car for what it is (and GM even deserves some credit for what they're doing) but you don't even need to drive the thing to know that it couldn't hold the Boxster's jock. Just sit in the thing. If you really must, then drive one and all doubt will be removed.

It reminds of the silly Volvo Turbo wagon ad from back in the late 80's...the one where Volvo compared their wagon to a Porsche 944 Turbo and a Lotus Esprit. I believe they claimed the Volvo was quicker than the 944T. I wish I could find a copy of the original ad. Nonetheless, this was Porsche's "response" ad:

I love the line: "And, despite and silly claims to the contrary, able to run leisurely circles around a Volvo Turbo wagon, on any racetrack in the world."

Ah, such an ad gets me a bit misty eyed - takes me back to the days when Porsche actually cared...

Last edited by J-RAD; 05-22-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:24 AM
cyinisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by J-RAD

No offense but why even bring this up? It is obviously not really needing of a response. The Pontiac is a decent car for what it is (and GM even deserves some credit for what they're doing) but you don't even need to drive the thing to know that it couldn't hold the Boxster's jock. Just sit in the thing. If you really must, then drive one and all doubt will be removed.

It reminds of the silly Volvo Turbo wagon ad from back in the late 80's...the one where Volvo compared their wagon to a Porsche 944 Turbo and a Lotus Esprit. I believe they claimed the Volvo was quicker than the 944T. I wish I could find a copy of the original ad. Nonetheless, this was Porsche's "response" ad:

I love the line: "And, despite and silly claims to the contrary, able to run leisurely circles around a Volvo Turbo wagon, on any racetrack in the world."

Ah, such an ad gets me a bit misty eyed - takes me back to the days when Porsche actually cared...
Man I want that ad for a poster so f-ing bad.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:22 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is an interesting article in one of the car mags I saw at Barnes & Noble. not sure which one, but they compare the Soltice GXP to a convertible Corvette. They draw some interesting parallels.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

There is an interesting article in one of the car mags I saw at Barnes & Noble. not sure which one, but they compare the Soltice GXP to a convertible Corvette. They draw some interesting parallels.
Given that they share a fair amount of architecture, I'm not surprised.

Now consider this: We Porschephiles are used to complaining that Por-sha keeps the big motors out of the cheap cars, but as a GM fan it's even worse. The Solstice swallows an LS-series V8 with no difficulty. Mallett Cars does it here in Ohio for $28,000 or so, so I'm guessing that GM could do it for the cost differential between the blown Ecotec and the LS2 V8 - say, two grand.

So GM is capable of making a 400+ horsepower ragtop for thirty thousand bucks, but they won't because they want you to spend fifty-two thousand on the Corvette. Sound.... familiar?

Quick Reply: Pontiac Solstice Commerical