Sponsored by:

Boxter check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Boxter check engine light

We got a used boxter about 2000 miles ago, and it is a very good car with one exception. About 5 days after getting the car the check engine light came on. We decided to get a service from our local independent Porsche shop. The only fault he could find was the air filter was extremely dirty. Otherwise everything checked out. About 5 days later the check engine light came on again. I found a check list in the center console that said that when the car was checked by the dealer we bought it from the check engine light had come on. So this seems to be a problem. We got it from an American car dealership, so taking it back there would be useless, as when you turn the fault light off, it will come back in 5 or so days. The only thing I can say that could be a problem is when you shift from 1st to 2nd it does not take the gas smoothly. I thought it was because my wife was new to standard transmissions, but it does it sometimes with me, and I let a friend drive it and it did it for him. I had a friend that had a 1987 Boxter, and when his engine light came on, it turned out to be the air flow meter.

Anybody got any ideas?
I wrote the Boxter guy in Panno, and got no reply.

Bill Seifert

1998 Boxter (Wifes)
1991 Carrera II Cab
1983 944 race car
Old 08-11-2002, 02:43 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill,
That's cause the Boxster guy in Pano doesn't know as much as the rest of us about the car.

It sounds like you could have a fouled MAF sensor, especially if your air filter was really dirty or was one of those aftermarket ones that gets oiled every time you clean and replace it. Those have been known to foul the MAF sensor, so I'd start there. The dealership should be able to tell what tripped the code though, it is odd if they can't at least narrow it down to a specific system.

BTW, there was no 87 Boxster, I think you meant to say 97...
Old 08-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To Ken2KS
To Ken2KS
Thanks for the reply, that really makes sense to me. I will hit my mechanic with that tomorrow. I really wish he had a Boxter fault thingie, but he told me they cost $10,000.

You are so right about the 87-97 mixup. It was a 97 Boxter. When you get my age, you don't forget years, you forget decades. I do that all the time.

Bill

Quick Reply: Boxter check engine light