Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROW 030 Suspension Install on Boxster S - With Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 12:24 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool ROW 030 Suspension Install on Boxster S - With Pictures!

Everything can be found on my site at <a href="http://www.smiley.net/boxster" target="_blank">http://www.smiley.net/boxster</a> in the IMAGES area, or directly at:

<a href="http://www.smiley.net/boxster/row030.htm" target="_blank">http://www.smiley.net/boxster/row030.htm</a>

Enjoy!

Oh yes, and there is a special price for anyone viewing my Photo Essay / Article for those interested in getting ROW 030 themselves.

See the page for details!
Old 08-20-2002, 01:39 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Ken, the link appears to be dead and I couldn't find the right place on your site.

I was wondering what the front and rear ride height is now that the suspension has settled a bit. How much did the front and rear drop?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 08-20-2002, 02:05 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

The pages have changed to .asp, so just put a .asp at the end of it or go in through the front door of the site.

I need to measure again, but was going to give it another week or two until I do so.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:59 AM
Jimmy_D
Intermediate

Ken,

I'm new to this sight, and just picked up my first '02 Boxter S w/Sport Pkg.

Question: Why did you wind up installing M030 springs rather than H&R or Eibach. And, would you recommend either of those?

I'm considering lowering my Boxter and upgrading the wheels as well. Currently, I'm riding on the stock 17" turbo wheels.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Jimmy,

First off, sounds like you got a pretty good deal on a left over 2002, 50K with any amount of options is good.

As for lowering your car, first ask yourself "why" ?

If it is to be like some of those "rice-boys" who chop the springs on their Honda Civic so it will ride lower to the ground, then I'd advise NOT doing it.

If you are after performance then you have to look at what is going on with the suspension geometry. Porsche did not supply the Boxster with adjustable toe arms and caster isn't adjustable at all without some special plates. That means if you exceed the design specs of the suspension, your car will never align "right".

Both Eibach and H&R exceed the Porsche design specs for the suspension setup by lowering the car beyond the point where the alignment can be dialed in for either street or track use. Your tires will wear out faster with either the Eibach or H&R setups, but you will be lower to the ground.

The ROW Sports suspension is right on the edge of the design tolerances for the Boxster suspension, at least in the case of a 6sp "S" model. To do the ROW suspension "right" you also must change the strut towers. Simply changing the springs to Eibach or H&R will also alter your ride characteristics because your strut towers won't match your spring rates.

Every Boxster I've ridden in or driven that has H&R or Eibach springs has ridden or driven poorly IMHO. I'm sure those who have done it will argue that they have a "sweet" ride and tell you how little gap they have between the tires and the body and defend their choice, that's certainly their right to do so.

However, I'm very confident that if you took 3 identical Boxsters and converted them to ROW, Eibach and H&R and then ran them on the track or at an autox, the ROW's would win every time. Furthermore if you had shock meters in the car and judged each car for smoothness of ride the ROW's would win out there as well.

Seemed like a no-brainer to me. I wanted performance vs. "looks", so I went ROW springs and struts.

If you are just after looks, then either the Eibach or the H&R's will be a less expensive solution.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:07 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Ken. I was about to ask about other possible suspensions as well. Good information to have. I'll come back to it when I'm ready to upgrade my suspension.

/mike
Old 12-04-2002, 12:23 PM
mkatz
1st Gear

What is the difference between the 2003 US 030 vs ROW 030?....I've been offered several statement ranging from no difference to springs only to springs and struts to....
Old 12-05-2002, 12:03 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

ROW has different springs and different struts vs. US spec suspension. It lowers the ride height a little (1/4-3/8") and changes the characteristics of the ride (firm and flat without being harsh). If you do a swap do BOTH the springs and the struts at the same time. The sway bars are the same.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:00 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

ken,i understand ROW is a great set up...but i have ask the opinion of a few people with H&R springs only and they all have said it improves the ride and performance...not to say that its better than ROW,but an improvement...from your experience of driving with just springs,it sounds to me as if this set up decreases performance...please give me your opinion on this,cause i want to lower and improve the performance of my car slightly,without spending too much
Old 12-17-2002, 09:57 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 17 Posts
Ken,

How was the pricing of the M030 from your source verses the price of Gert at Carnewal.com?
Old 12-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

About the same really, depended on the part and the exchange rate / shipping. You can't go wrong with either and in fact I split between the two.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:31 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ken,

You have a nice web site How would you compare the ride quality between your RoW 030 and the US 030? I bought an 2003 'S with the US 030, but I'm wondering if it would ride a little smoother with the RoW setup. I'm not looking for race track performance, just pleasant ride quality, and lower in the front.

-Ray
Old 12-23-2002, 11:19 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Ray,

The ride is better on the ROW 030, less "harsh" that the US 030. Don't get me wrong the US 030 performs well, but the ROW beats it in terms of raw handling on the track, which you said you didn't care about, but that's ok, and in terms of every day driving around town. With 18" wheels on the car the ride is already harsh, US 030 makes it a bit harsher, ROW 030 eases up on that feeling giving it more "compliance". I don't know how to describe it other than to try two cars back to back if you can one with each suspension. I'd recommend it, but it might be a little pricey just to change your ride characteristics, if you have 18" wheels I would think you could get a smoother ride by just going to 17's instead for less $. It will lower the car though and 17's won't do that for you.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:14 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks, Ken. I do have the 18" Carrera wheels, which I like too much to give up I think I may just change to the RoW setup. I was happy with the standard 'S suspension, but the car I wanted in stock had the US 030.

Cheers,
Ray

Quick Reply: ROW 030 Suspension Install on Boxster S - With Pictures!