Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: Would you take a Boxster with a Carerra engine over a Carerra or even a Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 06:21 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I don't think I am going to argue with somebody as qualified as Robert G, but a couple of observations from a 'neutral' (i.e. I have a 911 but don't have any love for the 996 per se):

1. FACT: The Boxter chassis is as stiff as a 996 C2.

Is it the actual chassis that is as stiff or the whole vehicle? How could Porsche manage to build a coupe that isn't stiffer than a convertible? Think of 2 cardboard boxes, one with a top - the other open. The open one would have to be 3 times as strong (at least) in order to retain structual integrity. Is Porsche just sloppy?

2. FACT: the Boxter is lighter than a 996 Coupe.

Totally agree. If we look at point 1. - how did Porsche achieve this?

3. FACT: A Boxster with a 3.6L X51 engine would simply leave any 996 in teh dust on any track.

I would tend to agree, however it doesn't so it won't which is what my point is. Go back to my comment about a RUF conversion for my car.

4. FACT: It is easier to spin a 996.

I agree, but haven't had much time in a Boxter so don't know from experience - but logic dictates this.

5. FACT: TTP makes a 3.6L twin turbo Boxster with 650HP that is truely an engineeing masterpiece.

Interesting and I agree, but irrelevant.

6. FACT: Porsche will never put a 3.6L in a Boxster. However they will put in a detuned 280HP 3.4L engine in the car.

You have an unequalled insight into Porsche's strategy for the coming years if this is indeed a 'fact'.

7. FACT: It is very easy to get 30 HP out of any Boxster S by replacing the intake,headers and remapping the ECU. This alone will make it as quick or a little bit quicker than a 3.4L 996.

No experience of this personally but sounds totally plausible. I don't understand the relevancy of this 'fact' - presumably you are saying that it is impossible to get another 30hp out of a 996 by similar means?

8. FACT: The Boxster S is the Sleeper super Sports car that Porsche doesnt want anyone to know about. Its the true modern Porschephile's Porsche. People that "diss" the Boxster S as a lesser Porsche don't know what they are talking about.

I would have to argue that the first part of your statement is your personal opinion so cannot be granted status of 'FACT'. The second part of of your statement is interesting. This is because Porsche have made the Boxter as a lesser Porsche and therefore it IS one. That doesn't mean that with minor modifications it changes that completely.

All I am saying is that we can all modify our cars endlessly and be faster than the next guy etc. - but there will always be someone faster than you. I hope we can all enjoy our cars whether they are stock or at 650hp. If some of you get satisfaction out of knowing/shouting to the world that the Boxter is the 'Super Sleeper Ultra Sports Convertible' or whatever then that is part of the joy of ownership. I know some 964 owners that do the same thing regarding 'damned waterpumpers'.

I hope I have not 'dissed' the Boxter any more than you guys 'diss' 911's. And it is quite possible I don't know what I am talking about Mr. G. But opinions are like a**holes. Everybody's got one and they all stink.

Drive carefully!
Old 08-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts
A Boxster RS;
w/ 3.6, tt brakes, sport suspension, sport wheel/tires

wo/ ac, power widows, power top

Would get my hard earned $
Old 08-07-2002, 02:36 PM
RobertG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fact: It is easier to get 30HP out of a Boxster than a 996 because Porsche severely hampered the intake and headers on the Boxster. The stock intake hole for the Boxster is roughly half the size of 12 ounce can of soda (in diameter). You open that hole and you get some real solid HP gains and much better intake sound. The stock headers on a 996 are much more open than the stock headers on a Boxster S. You open that up with after market headers and you again get some real gains in HP and Torque. So it is impossible to get similar gains in a 996 by the same modifications because Porsche gave the 996 better (freer breathing) stock headers and intake systems .
FACT: its called BoxSter not Boxter.
FACT: the Boxster is as stiff as a 996 coupe due to the four point roll bar and more cross bracing in the chassis than a 996. Engineering wise the Boxster has the same Hertz value as a 996.
FACT: A Boxster is lighter not so much because it lacks a hardtop (optional one weighs 52lbs) but because it doesnt have a rear seat and glass windows and extra carpeting, speakers, soundproofing, etc etc etc which all have wieght that adds up.
FACT: 996's are not 911's Neither are 964's Only 911's are 911's <nudge> <nudge>
FACT: I have very good sources for info on upcoming 996's and Boxsters and they have never been wrong so far. 2005 will be a good year.
FACT: I also was in Anaheim a year or so ago when the Boxster Coupe was unvieled to potential customers. It looked very nice. It will be a great track car.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:21 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

I saw a Carrera GT being tested, reminded me an awful lot of the Boxster. Do I win something?
Old 08-09-2002, 12:31 PM
RobertG
Racer

Wink

yes, you win a big yellow Banana
Old 08-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Cool

Hey RobertG-man,

Did you see my updated website, now with a GALLERY for users to upload their pictures into? I expect to see a pic of your wheels there!

<a href="http://www.smiley.net/boxster/" target="_blank">http://www.smiley.net/boxster/</a>

Old 08-09-2002, 04:54 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

I wonder what you would have to do to a Boxster to enable it to keep up with a GT3 which, IMHO, is the only 996 type that follows the 911 tradition of being a sports car first and foremost.Comparing a sports car (Boxster) with a grand tourer (996) isn`t comparing apples with apples.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:54 PM
RobertG
Racer

well the closest that I got to testing this was last May at the California Speedway during the SDR-PCA speedfest. I was coming off the infield course and onto the banked oval. Now, I was following a brand new 2002 GT3RS. Right before we got onto the straight high bank. There wasa little ***** type turn. It was slow enough that I had to get into 1st gear for a few seconds to keep my RPM's up. Now, I was about 4 feet behind the GT3RS. As I went from 1st to 2nd gear I stayed with him on the straightaway and did not give up any ground up until I went into 3rd gear. Then he started very slowly pulling away. Nothing very impressive When I went into 4th gear and judging by the rear end dip on his car he also went into 4th. When we hit 4th gear. He went BUH-BYE! He really left me standing still and he kept excellerating. It was the coolest thing that I saw in a long time. I really wish I had video of it. It was very cool!
Old 08-09-2002, 10:21 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Robert G

What do you estimate your rwbhp? - 250?
Old 08-09-2002, 10:41 PM
RobertG
Racer

last time that I dynoed it it came out to about 243.2 rwHP
Old 08-10-2002, 02:50 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Robert and I are very similar, same headers, same ECU programming, different intakes. My best run was 244.7, usually in the lower 240's for rwbhp.

Ah if I only had a turbo, or er uh a couple of them!!!

Hey Robert, haven't seen you upload a picture of your car to my Gallery yet!!! Get Crack'n!
Old 08-10-2002, 11:04 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

240 rwbhp would make a Boxster a pretty quick car. The major critisism of Boxsters has always been lack of power and torque.
Is there any reason a GT3 engine couldn`t be used? - that would be quick!!
Old 08-10-2002, 02:28 PM
John Murray
Racer

I would love to have a Boxster with a Carrera engine, if it were a coupe. Lots of torque, loads of fun, etc. Wait a second, thats a 996....
Old 08-10-2002, 06:46 PM
RobertG
Racer

In Germany there are plenty of Boxsters with GT3RS and 3.6L engines. Lots of German tuners are cranking them out.These are some of my pics of my my sleeper.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:26 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carrera yes, turbo no. Of course price would be a factor.

Quick Reply: Poll: Would you take a Boxster with a Carerra engine over a Carerra or even a Turbo?