Which Options would you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 09:03 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Which Options would you recommend

Hi,

Due to change in circumstances meaning a long commute by car, I'm considering buying a Boxster as a daily driver to replace my high milage 993 -which was fine when I was commuting by train.

Since you already own Boxsters, and there appears to be an incredibly long option list, and my wallet not bottomless, I thought I'd ask you guys what you consider to be 'essential' extras, that should be ordered.

Thanks in advance
Luke
Black 993 Uk
Old 09-16-2002, 09:35 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Get the sport package that includes the windscreen, which just about everyone finds essential and honestly anything other than that is probably personal taste. Painted center consoles, painted roll bars, different leather seats (although the Mrs. may demand heated seats), different radio, etc. are all things that are personal preference.

I would recommend that you get the ROW 030 suspension which means order the base suspension from the factory and then install the ROW 030 after you get the car, no wait, you are in the UK, you can get it from the factory, so yes order that. 030 Sport Suspension, better handling, better ride.

Pick the wheels you like, etc.

You can find a complete list of my options on my website in the Specifications / Modifications section.

<a href="http://www.smiley.net/boxster/" target="_blank">Boxster S Web</a>
Old 09-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one option that I DON'T have but would probably enjoy is heated seats. I believe heated seats are priced at around $400 - well below the usual Porschextortion option prices. You can't get heated seats aftermarket without paying major $$$ and going through a painful installation. And living in the UK, you will probably enjoy them.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:41 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

At the moment I would say the options I wish I had are the Sport Package (for the windscreen and cruise control) and the Xenon lights.

Unlike everyone else I don't have the option list memorized so I can't help you with the codes, sorry .

/m
Old 09-16-2002, 10:18 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

First and by far the most important option is get the S. For a daily driver forget the 030 suspension you dont need it and it will make the ride worse for a daily driver better for weekend warior. Heated seats yep only because of reasons listed earlier. Triptronic trans for daily car 6 speed for the weekend. Personal preference options include the Sport design 18in wheels, sport package, lintronics lights, boxster red interior what else, and definetely get the hard top. The rag is is major PITA to keep as nice as the rest of the car and usually its to hot or cold or dusty or something. Ever see the guy 110F out with the top down.....new roadster owner never fails. Put in a K&N, either just the filter or the big bore pipe set up and leave it alone. My car will do 150 plus full tank all the time. If you ar in wet weather country you might consider the traction control option but if your not forget it. The car is on rails and will just make you smile the harder you push it in the mountains. Good luck oh and the best color is Seal Gray Metalic just in case you didnt know.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:30 PM
Boxster 3.4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an S.
Then:
18" Turbo 996 style wheels - New for 03
Litronics
Painted Rollbar
Heated Seats
6 speed or tip is your call
That's about all you need

FVD Motronic reporgram and headers/cats and your really set.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:22 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

Thanks everybody!!!

I guess that settled my first big question... whether to get a fully loaded 2.7 or an S with just a few items.

If my nerve holds out it will be Speed Yellow otherwise I'll crack and have black or silver.

Ken2KS - checked your website - very nice car!!!

Netmaniac,turboflyer,Boxster3.4 - Thanks for the reminder, with the long summer days I'd forgotten about the poor standard lights.

So it will be an S with whatever I can afford from:
Wind deflector,
Litronics,
18in Wheels,
Sports Suspension
(I assume the last two can always be added later)

I'm not sure if the various 'packages' are the same in Europe/Uk as they are in The U.S. but I suppose I'll soon find out - pity the Porsche web site is down for upgrading to the 03 model year.

I will also have to hear the different sound options to decide on that

Luke
Black 993 Uk
Old 09-18-2002, 01:17 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

You're welcome, glad you liked the site, and of course Speed Yellow is the best color.

030 and 18" wheels can be added later if you want, but get litronics (xenon) from the factory along with the windscreen/cruise and heated seats and anything else that strikes your fancy

(like my long list of options...

I disagree with respect to ROW 030 suspension, my ride is of better quality than either the US 030 or the standard suspension over a variety of roads, then again I have 18" wheels and tires too... so YMMV... but for me ROW 030 is great.

Quick Reply: Which Options would you recommend